Wilderness odyssey and successful freezer filling excursion.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Hello.
I'm going to give this a shot; I have never started a thread, nor have I ever posted images, so I'm hoping it all comes together nicely. I have only taken a couple of images off my camera, and have yet to upload the full compliment onto my PC. I shall be doing this over the next couple of days, so if people want to see more, I will upload them when I next get the chance.

Last year I completely blanked on the hunting/freezer filling front, so this season I thought I would try a different strategy. I went away from my usual, more convenient locations, and decided I would go way out into the middle of nowhere, where (hopefully) game would abound due to the lack of human presence. I made my way upstream on the Yukon river for about 120 miles, into an area known as the "Yukon black zone", so called due to it's remoteness, and set up my camp.
Here is what I was sleeping in:
walltent.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-09

and here is what I scored on day 3 of my adventure:
bullwinkle.jpg

By pete79 at 2010-10-09
A nice little bull. Probably about 2 years old. Took me about 5 hours to get him all quartered and in the boat. He was a small one, and when I got him home he only yielded about 500lbs of meat (I'm in the steaks and roasts for at least a year), compared to the last one I got which was about 800lbs of meat.
The trip was amazing. 10 days in total. Only saw people on days 1 and day 10, found some old cabins to snoop around in, browsed on ripe cranberries the whole time, and saw loads of wolf tracks, bear tracks and moose sign. Only thing was, on day 4 the weather suddenly switched to winter, all the creeks coming into the river froze solid (causing the river to drop by 2 or so ft while I was out there), which made for gravel bar hell on my downstream trip. Sub zero temperatures also made for big fun when riding in an open topped boat with no windshield.

Cheers for reading.

Pete

Last edited:

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
`so if people want to see more, I will upload them when I next get the chance`

We want more!
:)

Cheers,

Tom

OK. I will try to accomodate. Haven't got my camera with me right now, so I will get the pictures up tomorrow. I warn you, I'm no photographer

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Looks like a good trip pete, last time i was up in the wilderness a bull moose walked out in front of us, we were just out chasing walleye but the size of the beast was something else, stopped worrying about the black bears when we seen one of them!!

What sort of boat did you use? i seen some river trip pics of freighter canoes heading right into the wilderness in search of fish, meat and fur!!!

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
MORE!!

any pics of the boat , ooh and the cabins?

well done i,m very envious of your trip,..

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
Looks like a good trip pete, last time i was up in the wilderness a bull moose walked out in front of us, we were just out chasing walleye but the size of the beast was something else, stopped worrying about the black bears when we seen one of them!!

What sort of boat did you use? i seen some river trip pics of freighter canoes heading right into the wilderness in search of fish, meat and fur!!!

Yep. They're huge. This one was really up close and personal. I was looking for ruffed grouse for my lunch in a thicket, when the thing must have heard me crashing around and came up to have a look. Gave a little call and he came coming. I only had my shotgun at the time, so I ended up loading a slug and taking him with that. They sort of lose their minds a bit during the rut, and there was a second bull came to check me out whilst I was field dressing the little one. I had to chase it away twice.

The boat was a motor boat. I had to consider clearing gravel bars, and fuel hauling capacity to get out to where I was and back. I used a modified herring skiff, with a flat bottom, and enough space to haul lots of gas and a full dead moose.

Cheers.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Any chance of posting a Google maps link to the rough area where you were?

Without giving away your prime hunting spots of course, but it's such a huge area it'd be nice to have a sense of where you were :)

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Wow. Fantastic trip, sounds like the experience of a life time. This is what I dream of doing... one day!

Thanks for taking the effort and sharing this experience, I say that this is a tremendous first thread & trip description.

Mike

PS where are the piccies :D & congrats on getting such a nice bull! How's the meat :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE