Wilderness Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I was planning on going for the whole weekend but we've just had a wedding invite from a good mate of mine on the Saturday :evil:
I'll just have to go for the Friday and Sunday then. :-?

Cheers

Mark

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Trying to persuade my dad to take me down there. Hopefully be able to go for the full weekend!

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Just found out that I start the term on the Friday so I wont be able to go :cry: Maybe i'll be able to get there for Saturday or Sunday but it is quite far away

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
I've just booked my ticket, and i really can't wait.

So now i've just got to figure out how to get there!!!!

Can anyone tell me what the nearest train station would be? As i could get a train from Aberdeen, failing that i may just take the car.

Looking at my trusty AA motorist's atlas, it's a long way to go :yikes:

Suppose i could get a train to Salisbury, is that about 15 to 20 mile away? and a cab or bus from there?

Looks like the train will be between £150 and £200 return, hmmm wonder how much fuel the car would use... :?:

Anyhow's i'll see you there, Hjaltlander

p.s. I'll be the overweight silent bloke at the back! lol

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Hjaltlander
You might be better getting a flight perhaps to Bristol or Cardiff. There's a quite a few of us will be making the journey from South Wales to the gathering and I'm sure a lift wouldn't be out of the question.

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi Justin Time, never thought of that, ok i had a look although only a brief one. Easy Jet dirt cheap, but i'd probably have to fly from Glasgow, kinda defeats the purpose, more of a round about way.

British Airways doesn't fly to Cardiff, but they do to Bristol and of course the depart from Shetland, still the cheapest flight is about £280 return!

Ok, a quick look at the ferry to Aberdeen tells me that for myself no car or cabin, it will cost me £39.25 return. The car would be £165.25 return, plus there would be fuel to take into consideration, probably rough guess £150.

So to recap, Boat Then Train would be minimum approx £200
Fly to Bristol, then share lift at least £300
Boat then car at least £400

I think we can forget the car, i know it would give me greater freedom, but it is definatly going to be the most expensive.

I'm not sure about the other two though, train's cheaper and i could get off at Stonehaven on my way back and visit my Brother if i felt the inclination, plus it deposits me a lot closer to the site if there's a problem.

But, i've just looked at my trusty AA Motorist's Atlas (What would i do without it?) and Bristol's a lot closer than i thought, anyone going from Bristol got room for one and a rucksack?

Anyway, get in contact if you have any ideas! Hjaltlander

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
I'm back, just checked the Atlas again, yup Warminster is definatly closer than Salisbury like a third of the distance.

But it's a bit more expensive to get to, so were looking at fly direct to Bristol or ferry to Aberdeen and train to Warminster, both about the same price?

Suggestions on the back of an envelope to the usual address!

Hjaltlander

leon-1

Have you thought about coach trip, they are normally cheap and cheerfull. The down side is that they take quite a time and you can't really crash out unless you are a contorsionist in your spare time.

You would also have to bring a flask and food unless you wish to pay the extortionate price at motorway service stations, but if you are willing to put up with it you'll find that it is normally the cheapest way to travel. :) .

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Hi Leon-1

Yes i had considered the coach, but as you say you need to be a contortionist to try and sleep, and it takes that much longer.

It's looking like train or plane to be honest, might be a bit more expensive but simple. Starting to fancy the plane idea more, a lot quicker, plus i can fly direct from home, well about thirty miles away.

Anyone from or passing Bristol want to give me a lift, gladly donate for fuel?

Hjaltlander

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have messed up again. My next woodcraft course starts on the 4th Sept for some unknown reason i had convinced myself it started on the 6th. i shall have to pass this one.

Roger has kindly agreed to give me a full refund on my tickets :super:

why does everything have to happen at once?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE