Wilderness Areas in the British Isles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I'm currently scouting out regions of woodland in the Chilterns near the M40 at the mo'. Found a good little patch near the Wycombes, but it is small. There are a couple of spots where nobody seems to stray-not been disturbed so far-but it's far from ideal! However, there is a great range of flora and fauna. Yesterday I saw 4 roe deer, a buzzard whose there everytime (got very close this time), the usual common big/small rodents, and the first daylight fox I've seen for years.

Dartmoor. Yes I agree it can be creepy, but I've always encountered people there for most of the time. Ok, when the weather turns or daylight fades it does improve. Where abouts would you recommend? I must admit to not having explored much of the northern part, but I do prefer wooded areas. Where do you recommend? Would appreciate some pointers here!

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
Dartmoor. Yes I agree it can be creepy, but I've always encountered people there for most of the time. Ok, when the weather turns or daylight fades it does improve. Where abouts would you recommend? I must admit to not having explored much of the northern part, but I do prefer wooded areas. Where do you recommend? Would appreciate some pointers here!
Where to start? The emptiest part (and probaby the scariest) is south of Princetown. There's one enormous hill, which I can't remember the name of, but it's so large it has the largest marsh of the moor across its flat top. You have very short visibility over most of it, and obviously when the mist comes down (most of the time!), and/or it's dark, it's nasty - not being able to see is not fun when you know that a step might take you six feet under (I've dropped up to my chest in pond-bogs there twice). Once we crossed this area completely and hit a road, where cars shot past at 60+ mph, and somehow we seemed even further from civilisation - it seemed like a place nobody would dare stop. Dripping wet and covered in mud and weed as we were, I don't think anybody would want to anyway!
That said, the moor north of Princetown, between there and Okehampton Camp, although much more full of people has it's fair share of creepiness. Try navigating a 30mi route across the moor, following a bearing and without taking off tors - if you're feeling daring, without looking at the map. You can get hopelessly lost, and very wet. Last time I did this I ended up in Cranmere pool (the wettest if not the largest marsh) surrounded by water on what seemed like four sides and in a heavy downpour... still, at least the mist had gone :D

arctic hobo said:
Is that lower or upper Lough Erne? I've been to upper, was a lovely place :)
Yes, I was talking about the upper lough - the lower lough is great too but once you get to the northern half of it, it can get a bit scary in a blow for a canoe. Ive seen 4 foot swells in only a moderately strong wind. Not my idea of fun in an open canoe! :eek:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Neiltoo said:
Yes, I was talking about the upper lough - the lower lough is great too but once you get to the northern half of it, it can get a bit scary in a blow for a canoe. Ive seen 4 foot swells in only a moderately strong wind. Not my idea of fun in an open canoe! :eek:
Exactly the reason I wasn't there! I too was travelling by canoe. It was a long time ago (well, I was 14), and I don't remember it awfully well, but isn't there a castle on a tiny island near the upper end? I seem to remember really wanting to live there! Don't know why but it really struck me as a beautiful place to be.Recommend it heartily to anyone thinking of going :)

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
Guess I'll have to go and pay my cousin a visit, she's recently moved to near Lough Earne with her partner for the fishing etc.

arctic hobo said:
Exactly the reason I wasn't there! I too was travelling by canoe. It was a long time ago (well, I was 14), and I don't remember it awfully well, but isn't there a castle on a tiny island near the upper end? I seem to remember really wanting to live there! Don't know why but it really struck me as a beautiful place to be.Recommend it heartily to anyone thinking of going :)

I think you are probably thinking of Devinish Island - its actually an old monestary but it has a tall round stone tower and does loook a bit like a castle. There are lots of ruins all around the lough and the history (which I've only just started to find out about) is fascinating.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Neiltoo said:
I think you are probably thinking of Devinish Island - its actually an old monestary but it has a tall round stone tower and does loook a bit like a castle. There are lots of ruins all around the lough and the history (which I've only just started to find out about) is fascinating.
With 2 quid Ryanair flights I think it's time I visited again :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE