Wild Stoves: woodgas stove review (YT vid)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Cheers, that's a really good job. I never would have thought of using a wine cooler,nice one.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
anyone used wood-pellets in these things?

I tried mine last weekend with wood pellet cat litter...

I filled it to just below the top air holes, wedged a fire lighter in the centre (on top, but pushed in a little way) and lit it. It took about 10 minutes for the gas jets to start, but once started it maintained the jets for just over an hour and a half, with a usuable simmer heat after that of just over half an hour.

Very impressive.

Simon

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I tried mine last weekend with wood pellet cat litter...

I filled it to just below the top air holes, wedged a fire lighter in the centre (on top, but pushed in a little way) and lit it. It took about 10 minutes for the gas jets to start, but once started it maintained the jets for just over an hour and a half, with a usuable simmer heat after that of just over half an hour.

That is[/B] very impressive. Could you just clarify for us which stove that is?

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I have been dying to buy this since it was first stocked by wild stoves but can't justify it just yet with my collection of 2 x jetboils, 1 Trangia, 1 x Sigg multi fuel stove, 1 pocket rocket and the list goes on...... I can't part with any of my stoves to make place for a new one.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Slightly off subject do you think the cat wood pellets would work in a honey stove?

Yes. :)

At the Rough Close Meet last weekend a test was done with cat pellets in all the stoves below:

stovetest.jpg

The Honey and Vargo Ti have only just been filled and lit in this pic.

HTH

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Is that an ebay special woodgas stove in that pic (far left) -- are they any good?

Yes - I got it on ebay. And it burnt remarkably well on kitty-litter - actually nearly twice as long as the wild-gas stove which itself managed an hour on one load. So it gets a thumbs-up from me. It is a classic "tin-can" stove, so won't last as long as the stainless steel wild-gas stoves, but for the price its a fun intro to woodgas stoves.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The thing i noticed in the test above was that the kitty litter pellets seem to be largely soft wood and lit a lot easier than my hard wood bio fuel variety but the latter seemed to burn hotter. If you are going to use the honey stove with pellets then an internal mesh chimney will really improve the burn. I found that my folding firebox stove (non gasifying and similar to honey stove) would not burn a full pellet load without some stirring part way through if not using the chimney.

I think the verdict was its easier to burn twiggs if available but pellets are a compact carry when weather or site rules mean you need to carry fuel in. I reckon 5kg pellet would have easily catered for all my brew and cooking needs at the 4 day meet but i got through more as i was testing (read playing :))

here is mine on pellets at its peak

dedefff7.jpg

Last edited:

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I am carrying the stove around with me at the moment as back up to my evernew stove. I haven't used it yet and the clips where the stove is supposed to go have broken off. I am very disappointed with that and now I'm going to have to find a way to fix them back on.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I am carrying the stove around with me at the moment as back up to my evernew stove. I haven't used it yet and the clips where the stove is supposed to go have broken off. I am very disappointed with that and now I'm going to have to find a way to fix them back on.

I have had no problem with mine and I have taken it everywhere, you should contact the guys at wildwood gas and speak to them . I am sure if one of there products was faulty they would want to know and want to sort you out .

By the way I also used to use the evernew stove and I recon the wildwood gas stove is a much better user , I sold my evernew woodstove and kept the meths burner which I sometimes use inside the wildwoodgas stove if I am somewhere that I is not appropriate to light a woodstove up with wood .

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I have had no problem with mine and I have taken it everywhere, you should contact the guys at wildwood gas and speak to them . I am sure if one of there products was faulty they would want to know and want to sort you out .

By the way I also used to use the evernew stove and I recon the wildwood gas stove is a much better user , I sold my evernew woodstove and kept the meths burner which I sometimes use inside the wildwoodgas stove if I am somewhere that I is not appropriate to light a woodstove up with wood .

The thing is I don't know if it's faulty of if that's just the way it was made. I mean those clips were not welded on. I'm in France at the moment so can't really do anything right now. I don't have the evernew woodstove just the meths burner and the trivet. I was not convinced by their woodstove so didn't buy. But the meths burner and trivet is absolute superb bit of kit which I recommend to anyone.

Kai-FIN

Apr 6, 2013
Suomi
After deliberating for a while on getting a woodgas stove, I decided to go with the UK company Wild Stoves and got their small backpacking woodgas stove.
Duncan

By looking at the packaging of Wild Stove, it looks to me like it is made in China and a Wild Stoves sticker is added on it in UK.
I found the same stove in Ebay, sold by a chinese seller. I am absolutely sure that it is made in china because it makes no sense for a chinese seller to import a stove from UK to China and then sell it through Ebay to western customers.

However, the price difference is not too high, so I prefer to buy this from Wild Stoves because if I buy from China the shipping will take longer and nowadays every package gets caught in customs and I would have to pay customs tax and VAT.

here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221169588767?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE