Flamers natural firelighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Picked up a box of flamers natural firelighters from http://www.certainlywood.co.uk/flamers and was impressed enough to warrant a little review!
I know. Firelighters are firelighters, and firelighters are cheating. But these are a little different. For a start they're made of wood!
They come nicely packaged and arrived in good time. The box was bigger than I expected, as are the lighters themselves
187adba5166ad09ba3ade5a2bb0e23  20.jpg

292dc5de0ac2bd461a3c2de057a207  4a.jpg

I was a little dubious at first as to how well they worked, but I can honestly say they burn brilliantly. Used one to light a woodgas stove running on twigs and it performed as well as if not a little better than the usual blocks of parraffin. And left no residue and burned with no smoke or smell.
4f732962b557b58bb50894d6444c80  3a.jpg

0b5659fc91a71f0623210976978c87  f5.jpg

After a quick phone call with company, I learned they are supposedly waterproof, handy. And I can confirm they are. To test and you all know I don't do things by halfs Ive submerged one in water since Monday and it lit first time with no issues bar a little spitting as the water boiled out of it
daa223416fd815f0b62b0fddd4763b  15.jpg

and burned away solidly just like a dry one.
The lighters themselves are made from wood wool, sustainably sourced in the UK, a nice touch. And soaked in a kind of wax. The website claims a burn time of 10 minutes, and they aren't far off
36cb90526595f0cb7d3403794f7bf1  e8.jpg

All in all a good product and they're staying in my tinder pouch. They seem to burn very hot and don't seem too sensitive to wind or water. And helped up have a backyard bushcrafty brew!
8156fffd9972e358c4f7abe78fc1e6  c1.jpg

During the phone call I did mention our little corner of the internet and offered the possibility of a discount code with bcuk members, and seems a thoroughly nice fellow. They also worked nicely to light coal in the forge, and my wood burner. If you see them in a garden center I would recommend picking a box up, or they can be ordered online of you're interested (the delivery from big river trading is a little steep mind)

Oh and they also have this chap as a mascot, and I liked that too!
5af2af6cdf340eed627be7400044da  1c.jpg

[video=youtube;_H1uZgkKmZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H1uZgkKmZs&index=2&list=PLpBIqJS9_Na7Njs37_2UyOTf gM_WP4iIX[/video]

They do have a YouTube clip showing them working etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Also just realised you can't see the flames on the soaked one. But I assure you it was burning strong

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They look pretty good.
Having had a look at their website the Flamers appear to be wood shavings - twisted into a "rope" - dipped in hot wax.
I make my own fire lighters from sawdust soaked in wax and that works pretty well too.
As my source of free wax has dried up I may investigate the flamers when my current supply of DIY firelighters runs out....

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Given the postage is steep, would a group buy be worth while?

What's the dimensions of the box they come in?

J

140x120x250 (mm) for the 50 boxes. group buy is always an option. He's kindly offered free delivery on boxes of 200 to our members though. After seeing one light after 6 days underwater I do think they're worth it. Can't help but think chemical ones would have turned to a white sludge in that time

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
They look pretty good.
Having had a look at their website the Flamers appear to be wood shavings - twisted into a "rope" - dipped in hot wax.
I make my own fire lighters from sawdust soaked in wax and that works pretty well too.
As my source of free wax has dried up I may investigate the flamers when my current supply of DIY firelighters runs out....

They're exactly that John. The twist is very tight on the inner layers though so they burn for an age. Reckon you could do the same kind of thing at home but simply not as well short of putting wood shavings in a lathe chuck like.

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
I've just bought a couple of bags of 60 from Amazon for my wood burner, when the arrived I immediately threw a couple into my tinder bag. A handy edition for anyone.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
i cant see the pics but they sound the same as these ?
2ff7584b147624bd9e783a97ac5eea7a.jpg

i prefer homemade fire biscuits but here's my cheat....
pomegranate usually come in boxes lined with wood wool....
(Mr fenna....heres a couple of useful sources of free or dirt cheap wax...charity shops throw out part burnt and whole candles....small donation and they will save you them.....churches throw out alot of part burnt candles....very often really good candles with no soap in them ...tallow or high parrafin content are often used....again a small donation can secure a good bag full )
so get familiar with local fruit & veg shops ;) melt your wax safely (very dangerous overheating wax) dip your wood wool in for a good coating....now compact your wood wool into a plastic tube of some sort....and let cool. or you could even insert a dried bramble or twig and do some spinning inside a tube to give you the twirl they have.
hey presto..cheap home made flamers....remember...practice & imagination can make improvements.....enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
They look pretty good.
see above post John ;) i also like to make fire cakes from sawdust and wax....take some breaking up if i use too deeper pan or over compress them ....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think for folks that don't make their own, they'd work fine. Neat and tidy, no fuss.

For those who do…..there are multiple sources of cheap or free or left over wax, and dry pine cones soak it up and hold onto it in their crevices, very well indeed :D The pound stores sell cheap aluminium pots that hold and melt the scraps very tidily I find, though a washed out soup or beans tin does a good job too, and it doesn't cost a ha'penny :)

Wrap and knot a bit of string around one of the pineconesand it comes with it's own 'fuse' so to speak :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE