Wild Stove’s Wood gas stove MK II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jjessup

May 15, 2013
Essex
Hi guys, just a thought about the ground scarring problem. I will stress that i dont have one of these stoves, I bought a bushbuddy a couple of years ago, and already have a plethora of alternatives cooking methods!

As a few of you are keeping the stove in a 14cm zebra billy, when I bought mine a while back it came with a frying pan/dish thing inside it. If the stove and pan fit inside the billy, you could put the stove on top on the inverted pan, giving an airspace between the stove and ground. I've used metal trays and small biscuit tin lids with my honey stove and find it doesn't scar the ground at all.

Hope it helps, sorry if I'm teaching anyone to suck eggs, or if the stove and pan dont fit at the same time. But it might work for some of you without the need to mod anything or buy anything extra. (Although that is often half the fun!)

The bushbuddy is good for this as it stays cool enough on the bottom to hold in your hand mod burn. But as others rightly say, it's not great for big pots, needs refilling often, and isn't cheap. More a stove for the lightweight bushcrafter.

Keep burning.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi all, can I ask for some help. I am looking at the site where Paul and others bought their stoves. The same seller has the same stove for sale there at two different prices...I am also not sure which of these pricing a are the stove with the stronger/older design supports...or maybe neither. Any guidance appreciated ps tried to post before, so hope this doesn't appear twice :)

This one has the old pot supports in the picture and is about £20 delivered

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/carb...door-appliances-free-shipping/1093695855.html

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Bought one of the new design Woodgas stove in April- totally underwelmed by the new "improved" pot stand -it is weak and provides poor, wonky support for a range of billies and pans. Seems to be for the use of a small diameter crusader mug etc. Sorry i know it is not very Bushcraft but if all I wanted to do was boil a small mug of water I would go for a Jetboil. Frankly I have not used it because it is too unstable to use safely. My other gas stoves have pot supports similar to the original design and these same pots are stable on these stoves - even more disappointingly for a British company, and a not especially cheap product I contacted them through the web form on their site [which worked well enough when taking an order] and received no reply. I too inquired whether it was possible to exchange the new pot holder for the original.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The new pot support does work, I have it and have used it, there is nothing to be scared of, I have used it with a crusader 10cm zebra billy and a 14cm zebra lunch box and none fell over or caused any problems at all. Jjessup I did think along the same lines as you regarding the try that comes with the 14cm lunch box, but you can not pack it back in when you have the wild gas stove in the the lunch box as the stove totaly fills it, with a 14cm Zebra billy I guess it would work though

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I am sorry tagnut69 even the MSR stowaway billy that they sell with the stove does not sit true on the new pot stand. This has the basic engineering flaw of now having 4 points of contact rather than 3 - the result is that most pans of either a larger or smaller diameter rock. There is a worse problem with small semi round bottom pans e.g small woks, which do not sit true on this type of support but fit well and securely on the tried and tested stepped 3 triangle type. The situation is compounded by the distortion/flex of the stand under load or when stirring. I own a number of billies and other pots and a number of stoves including modern gas [MSR etc] but also vintage Primus and they all have better pot stands than this. By any chance were you one of the members of BCUK whose feedback encouraged them to change the design?

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes that is the model I have - the central button in the middle sits too high compared to the three flimsy side arms. We will have to disagree on this - I am glad you are happy with your set up - I am not and not especially happy at having to modify a piece of kit at this expense - looking at junking the pot support and fabricating something better. When ordering I was not convinced by the "improvement" shown in web image (interesting they have not to update all their web images) but foolishly thought they had thought it through. Have now sent two sets of e-mail to them and had no response (although to be fair the second one was less than 24 hours ago). I note your comments about the MSR stowaway - but this is what Woodgas sell as an ideal companion to this stove. As I did not need ultra-lightweight did not go for the Tamarak stove - but must say it seems a more robust piece of kit (at a price!)

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Yes that is the model I have - the central button in the middle sits too high compared to the three flimsy side arms. We will have to disagree on this - I am glad you are happy with your set up - I am not and not especially happy at having to modify a piece of kit at this expense - looking at junking the pot support and fabricating something better. When ordering I was not convinced by the "improvement" shown in web image (interesting they have not to update all their web images) but foolishly thought they had thought it through. Have now sent two sets of e-mail to them and had no response (although to be fair the second one was less than 24 hours ago). I note your comments about the MSR stowaway - but this is what Woodgas sell as an ideal companion to this stove. As I did not need ultra-lightweight did not go for the Tamarak stove - but must say it seems a more robust piece of kit (at a price!)

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've used the msr , a 14cm zeb and mess tins on and a crusader. I'm happy and confident that I'm not going to lose my dinner. I feed the stove without lifting the pots aswell.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi a quick up date - Woodstoves did reply to my original e-mail (I now have a reply to my second and copy of the first - I can only think it got lost in a spam filter or something) Given that everyone else seems happy with their Woodstoves we are going to try a replacement pot support. Sounds like I may just have been unlucky.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
With regards to the old/new supports..

There has actually been 3 designs...

1) The original with 3 triangular arms that fold out.
2) The 3 fold out arms with the attatched foldable legs
3) Same as 2 but has been tweaked for better support of the MSR Stowaway 750. (Released about a month back for new orders).

When I originally got my Wildstove couple of month back I didn't really like the new support (2) so I contacted them and asked if they could send me the original support and they said they didnt make them anymore and didnt have any left over stock but was releasing a newer tweaked version of the new style soon and could send me one once ready. I wasnt really keen but said yes anyway as it was free.

In the mean time I purchased one of teh old style from the chinese seller who clones the stove on aliexpress and when it came I tried it out and have to say the newer style although more fidley is much better as a support as pots seem to be allot less stable on original design, small and big.

I now have the 3rd support (tweak of #2) and it does seem allot more stable and supports the MSR Stowaway and others I have tried great. Only problem is that if you knock the legs support legs off the arms when topping up fuel its a pain to get it back on (Unless you have good gloves with you). A tip is to crimp them down a bit more so to takes more to knock them off.

If you still have the #2 design and having probs with the MSR or other pots you should try the #3. It looks virtually same but with some slight differences in width of legs/middle section.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Can someone explain the obsession with sticking a metal mug on a stove? This seems to be the whole driver for this debacle (mug too small for original pot support) - a lidded billy always boils quicker than an open mug. Plus a billy is useful for something more interesting than pot noodles! True most of my travelling is canoe based so carrying weight not a big issue for me.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Can someone explain the obsession with sticking a metal mug on a stove? This seems to be the whole driver for this debacle (mug too small for original pot support) - a lidded billy always boils quicker than an open mug. Plus a billy is useful for something more interesting than pot noodles! True most of my travelling is canoe based so carrying weight not a big issue for me.

You mean you've never had coq au vin au crusader :D

Im a kettle and pot man so agree with you but a lot of guys do like to use a crusader/dutch/other issue mug to keep the weight down / personal preference. Each to their own but you cant beat a flaming kettle

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
And a lidded mug boils quicker than a lidded billy......but hey, who's rushing ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

+1 to this and you try getting a 12cm zebra in your coat pocket or belt pouch.
I have cooked veg in my metal mug then added chorizo, hardly pot noodle is it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE