Wild ''Mock'' Strawberry Plant

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Seen the plant below while walking today, it's a wild growing Indian Strawberry plant, sometimes called Mock Strawberry, i know so because i have seen it at other times when in flower, the flowers are a yellow colour which distinguishes it from the normal wild strawberry. Apparently in Lofty Wisemans survival book (as i've been told, i don't have the book myself) it states the plant is poisonous, but it is not, i have eaten the fruit myself, the fruit is fairly tasteless but edible. Through googling it seems the plant has quite a few medicinal uses, particularly for skin problems. Anyway though i'd share, without seeing the flower it can easily be confused with normal wild strawberry, the yellow flower identifies it though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Interesting wee thing, isn't it ? :D

It's a potentilla, and you're right, it is edible, and the leaves are supposed to be a good poultice/mash for eczema and psoriasis…..sometime I wonder about things like this though. Some plants can leave me in a real mess of unbearable itchy wee blisters, while others definitely soothe and help heal. I think everybody's different enough that comments like that need to come with advice to be careful and specific to the individual.

Our own wild strawberry makes the most gloriously scented and tasting syrup, is it worth trying this one do you think ? or was it really pretty much tasteless. It's such a deep rich colour.

M

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
yes, it's called, potentilla indica, it is pretty tasteless, not unpleasant just quite tasteless, i have eaten the fruit raw but not made anything out of it, it's probably of little culinary use i guess due to lack of taste. With all things the best advice is use caution of course. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE