wild geese

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
living up here in the wild north, we always consider autumn to have arrived when we see the first of the wild geese. Well this year they are very early, the first skiens have been flying over my cottage for a few days now, hope it doesn't mean we are in for a long hard winter.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Living in Orkney the threat of a long hard winter must be quite daunting. Down here in the north west of England I'd be happy for a proper winter for a change. I think it was only once or maybe twice I had to scrape the ice off my windscreen, it was so mild.

Our seasons are all over the place these days, if we can't have a real summer I'd like a real winter!

I remember being at RSPB Marshside when the skies to the north were suddenly filled with hundreds of geese arriving for the winter. It was a fantastic sight watching them touch down after such a long journey.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Winter....?? Is that the period of wet damp air that happens around christmas time..?
No geese here yet (they have only just left it seems), but some of our duck eggs have just hatched and we have a load of little cute fluffy critters...

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
winter here is the real thing, we get snowed in, but if your prepared it's no big deal. don't think i could live south again, i do love the changing seasons that we get here, they are so clearly defined

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
We seem to have lost our clearly defined seasons. It was probably the best thing about living in this part of the world.

Now we get a humid damp in the summer and cool damp in the winter. Constant cloud cover. Its like living in tupperware. Very depressing.

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
photo taken this morning at 6.30, as i live at the top of the island we are the first landfall after they leave there summer feeding grounds
101_0080.jpg

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Dont see many canadian geese down our way (Cornwall), but very occasionally I will hear them flying down our Gannel estuary and its a lovely sight when I do catch them.

This 'summer' and its weather has been a real disapointment, im hoping this trend wont last and im wondering how worried we should be. :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE