Wild Cherry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ash Blue

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2007
Manchester
I've never seen a Prunus Avium tree. This is the tree I'd be the most exited about for finding. Is it rare to find? Or should I be looking in specific places to find them? I just imagine the taste and how beautifully organic they would be. Any tips?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We call them geans.
They're in flower just now in my garden, and though the birds love the fruits, they're small hard and really bitter.
Nice trees though :) lovely timber, and they can give resin too.
The bark, even though it's rich in cyanides is an old tisane for sore throats, etc.

They set seed easily, if you have somewhere to grow it, I could root a cutting or try and beat the birds to some of the fruits ?

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Just to ask Mary is yours a bird cherry? only as I have only rarely had a bitter fruit from a Wild cherry:) hhhmmm we collected a lot last year when In Aldershot, lucky to have a fair few growing across the road from the old house, along with a mixed apple orchard, blackberries, hawes and sweet chestnuts, Birch boletes in the autumn too right outside the front door!:(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think mine are the prunus padus ones.............supposedly they grow north of the Arctic circle ???? It's no' that cold here :D
Might be why they're growing so vigorously though :).....they're not in full sun, there's a huge great Sycamore shading them, and they're certainly not rare around here.
We do have a lot of cherries in the village though, and most are edible but these ones.........well, let's just say you'd need to be very hungry :rolleyes:
I had one of the red fruited kind in the front garden but it died when the Wych Elms did, not sure if it were an insect or a fungal thing :dunno: nearly got the Rowan too what ever it was. Two further down the street didn't survive it.

cheers,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The cherries councils plant often bare fruit first two weeks in august. They in flowering now, the gean fruit and flower a little later. Personally I think the serotina and various hybreds the councils plant is better fruit by quite a margin.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
we have around 8 trees near me, they are bird cherry and the flavor can vary allot from tree to tree.....

makes very nice wine in either case....:beerchug:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE