Wild camping - where's the strangest place you've camped?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Wayland said:
Do you know what it is yet.........
No...
I have just spent a fascinating 20 minutes reading your website, its fantastic stuff, well done!

My weirdest place was probably sitting on top of a phone box. My team had to pull out of a Venture Scout night excercise because one team member was not well, possibly hypothermia looking back. Two of us went to the nearest village to ring the rescue crew, he slept inside the box I climbed on top to get a good view round and was woken up later by the minibus driver trying to wake me up so I didn't fall off.

The best natural place was under the roots of a blown down oak tree. Everywhere else in the woods was soaked, but under there it was bone dry and warm. I even lit a small fire to one side to cook on, it was really cosy.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Do you know what it is yet?.....

Zodiak said:
No...
I have just spent a fascinating 20 minutes reading your website, its fantastic stuff, well done!

My weirdest place was probably sitting on top of a phone box. My team had to pull out of a Venture Scout night excercise because one team member was not well, possibly hypothermia looking back. Two of us went to the nearest village to ring the rescue crew, he slept inside the box I climbed on top to get a good view round and was woken up later by the minibus driver trying to wake me up so I didn't fall off.

The best natural place was under the roots of a blown down oak tree. Everywhere else in the woods was soaked, but under there it was bone dry and warm. I even lit a small fire to one side to cook on, it was really cosy.

I almost forgot to finish this story.....

I continued to watch it until the light outside improved enough to see what it was.

By morning I had a very stiff neck because I'd spent half the night watching a bush blowing in the wind..... :11doh:

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Wayland said:
By morning I had a very stiff neck because I'd spent half the night watching a bush blowing in the wind..... :11doh:

Hehehe :lmao: at least you were ready... you know... if that bush came at you :D

Mikey B

Jun 22, 2005
South Wales
I slept in a skip once after a drunken night out - no taxis and a twelve mile walk home I was too knackered so i climbed in and crashed out. I woke at 7 ish and climbed out still wearing my suit - wierdest looks I've ever had.

T totaler now!

Mikey B

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I've slept in a few odd places over the years.

I was on a E&E exercise in Scotland and to try and evade capture I did what I was told and found the most inhospitable looking thorny bush I could and spent the night, as you can imagine it was pretty horrendous but I didn't get caught!!
I spent 2 weeks living in the hut on top of Ben Nevis whilst doing Radio Comms for the 3 peaks yaught race.
I've bunked down in many a ditch whilst on exercise with the army, trying hard to sleep whilst being wet and cold at the same time!
But the most memorable had to be the time my squadron was on continuation training in the Norwegian Mountains during winter, we got caught out in horrendous weather-Whiteouts galore!
And had to stay in two huts. There was 60 of us crammed into these two huts for 6 days, I had to share a 4 bed bunk room with ten other lads. Our Sgt Major & OC wouldn't let us touch the emergency provisions that were in the hut so 11 of us shared a single mars bar, we were in fits of laughter. It really brought out the good and bad traits in us all.
I also lived in a tent set up in a dusty car park in Macedonia for 3 months before setting the tent up in a bread factory in Pristina, Kosovo for the rest of my tour.

I could go on but I don't want to bore you anymore!

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Outside the EDF (think its the french energy department) buliding on the outskirts of Orleans whilst hitchhiking to Morocco couple of weeks ago. Woke up to people coming to work and it starting to snow... Oh i was cold!

Under a pinball machine in a service station on the aforemention hitchhike...

taylor27

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2007
northern ireland
the most memorable was when i was 10 an playing hide n seek . i hid under vw polo ,after haf an hour i fell asleep an was woken by a slamming car door ,so i started thumping the bottom of the car and wen my neighbour herd it an got out he gave me a lecture on how stupid an dangerous i had been.

Wintrup

Forager
Nov 5, 2005
London
Oh, alright. In Glyfada, Athens, I slept amongst the bushes of the central reservation of a dual carriageway. It was, it seemed, already home to a pack of wild dogs who grudgingly accepted this drunken, derranged apparition--most probably they made allowances, me being English and all.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Walking through the woods at night, me and my mate finally came across the perfect camp spot - nice and flat with reasonable cover. We set up tacticly so no torches and only quiet whispers.

In the morning when I opened one eye, I could see a green/brown(mainly brown) tennis ball size object, in front of my face, being eaten by grubs. I then saw another, and another, and another and then loads more. :confused: I woke my mate up (lazy git), and announced to him that we were, in fact, sleeping on someone's compost heap, consisting of a pile of rotten apples and various other green waste, with flies buzzing around the place!!

Smelly but we had a good laugh about it :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE