Wild camping west scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
T

Terrylen

Hey :O)
Me and my girlfriend want to go on a trip - meybe around ten days travelling up the west coast of scotland -- we are looking for any advice on some wild camping spots and Hikes - anybuddy with any photos or tips ??? :O) Cheers!!!

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
Knoydart is fantastic, the walking is really enjoyable and the barrisdale route is worth looking at. If you go to the pub in inverie or Knoydart the Forge, try and make contact with Mark who has the rib. If there is enough of you going to split the cost he will run you around the other side of the headland and drop you off at the start of the barrisdale walk.
From memory Ithink it is about a10 mile walk,but it will stick in your memory forever.
It is a kind safe walk all be it very remote, so top tip pack incase of any eventuality.
Best regards
Mark.
ps enjy the pint in the Forge at the end.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Knoydart is class. Went for a few days with a couple of mates at the end of April. Took the train to Glenfinnan, (where the Harry Potter train to Hogwarts goes over the viaduct!), climbed to 800m and pitched camp

RIMG0280.jpg

After a wild night I woke up on an island...

RIMG0281.jpg

The weather was poor, so we made use of a few bothies. This one had electricity!

RIMG0302.jpg

This one didn't

RIMG0332.jpg

At Sourlies, the bothy was full, so back to the tarp. The wind came on pretty strong on the coast though, so tarp pitching became an engineering exercise to withstand the battering of wind and rain in the night!

RIMG0346.jpg

Spectacular scenery though

RIMG0338.jpg

The view from the Old Forge in Inverie

RIMG0358.jpg

I would thoroughly recommend it. Everyone is so helpful up there as well. We walked from Glenfinnan to Inverie, and then intended to take the ferry from Inverie to Mallaig to get the train back to Glasgow (great journey, fantastic views from the train). The ferry only runs every other day, and takes about 25 people, but there were about 40 of us waiting on the Quay, so they commandeered another couple of boats for the rest of us for a hairy ride through the swell. The landlord of the pub was also very helpful. He pointed out a nice bit of woodland near the pub where we pitched for the last night, so we would be handy for the ferry.

Knoydart has the lot, wild spaces, mountain walking, coastline, and is remote enough to really feel you have made the effort, but is quite accessible using the train/ferry combo. We will probably return to explore some more!

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
Hey :O)
Me and my girlfriend want to go on a trip - meybe around ten days travelling up the west coast of scotland -- we are looking for any advice on some wild camping spots and Hikes - anybuddy with any photos or tips ??? :O) Cheers!!!

You can pack a lot in in ten days. If you're travelling by car then you could easily have 3 nights on Skye (the hike up to the Quiraine in the north and the old man of storr are well worth doing, plenty of munro options with the Cuillin Hills too), 4 in Knoydart ( you've now seen Winks photos :headbang: ,,,,enough said!) and 3 around Torridon ( more mountains, more forests, more lochs, just beautiful) without too much driving between these areas.

You can more or less wild camp where you like as long as it's responsible camping and out of sight from houses. The OS 25 or 50k maps of the areas will tell you all you need to know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE