Wild camping videos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
How do tramps get on when they camp on roadside verges, or under bridges, or in barns and outhouses? Are they ever prosecuted for trespass? Are they above the law? Or are they beneath the law?
Mostly they will get moved on, by the police or beaten up, and then moved on

Bigshot, I would not insult Tony or any other member on here by displaying a link to a dedicated site for it or by explaining it as its not a bushcraft theme, but if you search " 2012 mayan calender", you may get some answers

BushTucker...
I don't mean he lost me with what he was talking about... I'm aware of the significance people place on 2012, I just think it's complete hogwash. ;)

No more than a celestial event and if it has any actual effects (as opposed to people just thinking it's significant and acting differently, much like the "dawning of the age of aquarius" a while back) I will eat my boots.

"You lost me" meant more "I lost interest". Things like that kinda put me off.

Thanks for the suggestion though. :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
BushTucker...
No more than a celestial event and if it has any actual effects I will eat my boots.

See now thats a win-win situation, if there are no effects you don't have to eat your boots and if the world really does end, well there'll be no boots :D:lmao:

BushTucker... these things happen. :) No worries.

Melon... You got me! ;) At very least they'll be pre-cooked. I'll have to remember to store them with some good herbs and spices coming up to the time - that way I'll have a nicer meal on the outside chance that there's something for me to eat. :p

Robin... Either way we'll have to pay for it!
Though if it really is going to be trumpet-sound then, it will be happening on December 20th 2012.

As for the world ending, some think so because that's the final date on the Mayan Long Count calendar. Of course, the Mayans didn't know when the world is going to end any more than we do. If I remember correctly, their calendar ends in 2012 because that's when we pass through the galactic plane. If they were still around they'd be getting ready to re-do their calendar to take that event into account, and probably have a great big stonking party for the end of the old cycle and the start of the new one.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
As for the world ending, some think so because that's the final date on the Mayan Long Count calendar. Of course, the Mayans didn't know when the world is going to end any more than we do. If I remember correctly, their calendar ends in 2012 because that's when we pass through the galactic plane. If they were still around they'd be getting ready to re-do their calendar to take that event into account, and probably have a great big stonking party for the end of the old cycle and the start of the new one.

Thanks for the explanation bigshot, hadn't meant to be flippant.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
I'd like to respond to both the issues raised

1 - the video blog stuff is seperate from the back of beyond series - which is an experiment in unplanned diary entries - To clear it up, I expect massive change, rather than the end of the world.

2 - I am not going to assure my viewers as to whether I have permission to camp where I camp, that is up to them to make those decisions. some people do wild camp on public land. I personally believe if you do no damage and aren't imposing on an individual land owner, then you already pay for camping on publicly owned land through your taxes, which go towards it's up keep. If you had an afternoon nap in a park, no one would move you on. whats the difference in finding a secluded spot and staying overnight? W"ho or what does it really harm? It's not like you're going to live there.

Just a personal opinion, and not one I expect everyone to hold. A matter of personal belief. If that means this thread can't stay up, I will of course accept the moderators decision. I don't intend to cause a fuss or turn this into a political thread, but I learned log ago not to fold over matters of personal principle.

Thanks to everybody for giving their opinions, even those that don't agree with mine. It would be a dull world indeed, if we all agreed on everything.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well I will have a look at the vid's fella.....on a side note how do fishermen come off then?
My mate regularly camps while fishing has more gear than Milletts cooks his grub up on a stove yada yada!
Should I start pretending to fish and get some nights out by a lake!!??!?!
Makes you wonder l eh ,also Tony whats the defintion of tent as far as this act is concerned? It keeps mentioning camping.
I know this debate goes round in circles but alas the people who seem to agree with the 'dont camp on my larrrnd' brigade usually have wangled permission from a landowner.
Unfortunately some people do not have this luxury.
Maybe the local authorities should have to (if they receive enough requests) put some land aside for wild camping as they are meant to do with allotments.
dave

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
I've watched a couple of your Back of Beyond vids V4V (Eps 2 &3). Couple of observations.

Firstly Tony isn't being unreasonable in not wanting illegal activity encouraged on his site regardless of the laws having any moral basis or not. Why should he potentially incur any hassle.

In one of your vids you in fact adopt a pretty reasonable approach on the issue of legality yourself. Getting overly defensive and argumentative does you little credit.

The intros are a bit on the long side. Just over a minute in a 10 minute episode is excessive. I've watched two and it's annoying already.

Moans and groans aside the two I've seen have been very thoughtful, far more than most You Tube videos and you present the videos articulately. I look forward to watching more and hope you make more.

V4V

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2009
Yorkshire
www.r4nger5.com
Thanks, Firebringer - Your points are all valid and I agree with all of them. It is completely down to the moderators what they allow on the site. I will not argue or debate about the legalities of what I choose to do any further.

On another note, the intro has now been shortened for ep 5 - (30 seconds, now) Which will be uploaded tonight - in 2 parts (10 min limit on YT was not quite enough for the shelter segment).

Didn't the world already end in 1992?

According to the cult behind the famed door-knocking bunch the world ended (or more accurately the war of armageddon started) in 1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994... (and others, if you can believe they were still at it after all that!)
It's amazing we're still around to talk about these things!

The Baha'i leader predicted a nuclear disaster in 1980... Now though I was born in 1980 and when I was a kid my parents did describe my room as a "bomb site" a number of times... rumours he'd confused my birth with a nuclear holocaust can not be confirmed.

The world seems to have ended, on average, once every 19 years and roughly 6 months (and that's ignoring several witness predictions too).

The average would probably be even shorter if we included interpretations on Nostradamus too, but since he was writing about the past and not the future I don't think it's right to include him. He did (if I recall correctly) subscribe to the view that history repeats itself so writing about the past would mean writing about the future too, but since he was demonstrably writing about the past I don't count it as a prediction, which is a much harder science* - especially when you have to actually face the year of your prediction, and your public again after.

:p:D

* I use the word in the loosest possible (and furthest from the true) sense.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BigShot, I reckon that's an in built necessary medium for the personal development of all boys....the bomb site bedroom syndrome :rolleyes: :D
It's part and parcel of the floor wardrobe, the, 'in a minute!', response that accompanies the cloth ears, and the looking for things with ones eyes closed :p
The refrain of , "Do I *have* to ?", that is the rejoinder to any admonition to clean up this coup !, is the perennial wail heard the length and breadth of the country.
Funnily enough, even the Romans and Greeks complained of their young in the same way :lmao:

.........and History repeats itself; it has to, no one listens the first time ;)

atb,
Toddy aka " Muuuuuuum! " :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE