Wild Camping IS allowed in the Lake District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob_about

May 9, 2008
Warwickshire
Well, perhaps tolerated is a better phrase than allowed, but does the collected experience of this site know about this?

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-recreat01.pdf

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/mai...amping/w-activities-camping-good_practice.htm

"There is a presumption against camping on non-recognised sites without permission. This presumption is waived in certain circumstances and areas, eg in the Lake District, in upland areas above 450 metres out of sight of the public highway, to allow the wilderness experience to be enjoyed."

The notes go on to suggest a max of two people, staying for 1 night only and leaving no trace which all sounds reasonable to me

I am know planning to spend time with Memory map scouring the lake district maps for areas of National Trust land above 450m and away from the public highway to try and identify potential sites

I would then intend to inform the local National Trust ranger / warden of my intention to wild camp in location x, on a particular date in line with their published statements above and give re-assurances that I will leave no trace.

Has anyone else used this "opportunity" offered by the National trust, or is the reality more difficult to take advantage of?

Any experience, comments or tips welcomed - especially on whether anyone has informed the NT that they intend to wild camp using this "permission"

Cheers

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I don't tend to notify anybody when I wild camp in Scotland, England or Wales. But then again I tend to do it in pretty isolated spots and often stopping late and leaving early. I've to date never been challenged by a landowner except near to where I live. I think the secret is to keep it discrete and don't overuse any area.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I don't tend to notify anybody when I wild camp in Scotland, England or Wales. But then again I tend to do it in pretty isolated spots and often stopping late and leaving early. I've to date never been challenged by a landowner except near to where I live. I think the secret is to keep it discrete and don't overuse any area.

I think that is the best way really, respect the land, respect the land owner and you should have little trouble

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
I grew up on the edge of the Lake District and myself , older brother and several other Scouts I knew took it we could camp one night in any place above the "catchment walls".

Showing due respect we often did this and were never challenged, even by shepherds and landowners.
Below the catchment we would try to find and ask relevant person.

And the relevant person isn't always the N.T. , as far as I know they don't 'own' the whole Lake District , yet , ! Thankfully.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Been camping in Lake District for over 20 years (good grief, am I really that old ?!!) and have never been challenged. Follow the golden rules (which have been mentioned enough not to repeat them again) and even on an Easter Bank Holiday (with sunshine :cool: !) you can find peace and quiet in the Lakes.
Its no secret that if you go more than 10 feet away from the road you'll be 10 feet away from 99.9% of the people who come to the Lakes in their cars, look at the Lakes in their cars, then go home....in their cars.
Now I've written that I've realised that we should keep quiet about bushcraft and the outdoors, shut up Ray Mears:tapedshut , the less people who know how good it is, the more room, peace, quiet, litter free and scenic the place will be for us!!! Only joking, enough room for everyone, the more the merrier but follow the bl**dy rules.

So, who's for a 200 strong camping trip with beer, disposable bbq's, loud music and more beer down the back of the Langdale valley !!!!:lmao:

Its no secret that if you go more than 10 feet away from the road you'll be 10 feet away from 99.9% of the people who come to the Lakes in their cars, look at the Lakes in their cars, then go home....in their cars.

Sadly, you are right. Many years ago, I went to Tarn Hows with the boyfriend of the day, his parents and his brothers. After 2 hours driving, we got there and ate our sandwiches in the car, and then as Sean and I started to get out of the car, his parents said "where are you going?" "For a walk, of course", said I. "Oh no, it's time to go home now, otherwise we'll hit the bad traffic.

AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!! :banghead:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Good on the National Trust!
Bugger it, I may even renew my membership for their common-sense.
To be honest, the NT's attitude is typical of just about everywhere - don't leave a trace, don't act like an idiot, make sure you're out of the way, and authorities tend to turn a blind eye.
Now, if only they could adopt the same common sense approach into a legal statute...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
We used to have a farm at about a thousand feet altitude just on the north end of the lakes and plenty people camped on the fell just outside our house, if they asked we often let people camp in one of our fields, it just wasn't a problem.
Its made out to be a big deal by some people but in reality its not.

In more wooded areas I have just gone and set up camp away from the paths.
Don't go hacking ttees down, starting fires, remove your litter and its usually fine.
If its a farmers land then its good manners (and common sense) to ask them if you can camp there but the un enclosed land? Naaah, thats as much mine as anyone elses.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
The funniest 'Ray Mears' I saw was when he was in Finland. I'm sure you all remember it.
Right at the end he met with this Finnish singer, who did this kind of yoddling singing. You remember it?
It was Ray's expression. As he ineptly nodded along, out of time, his face was saying, 'Oh my God, I'm REALLY enjoying this. I mean it. I'm having so much fun. I've even clenched my fists in excitement', whilst his eyes were saying, 'Oh, for f**k's sake!'.
I'm sure he genuinely enjoyed the singing. Really, I am. he just didn't look like it.
If they repeat that episode on Dave TV (which they inevitably will) just watch it for the last ten minutes (and the rest, of course!).

blueprint

Aug 22, 2008
orkney
orkney is the place for wild camping, the folks up here are so laid back, the surfers camp on the sand dunes along the beach, and loads of moterhomes come here and park up

511019604_7516e1719a_m.jpg

1221479435_63f7d0bc61_m.jpg

376750986_2f5548ba2b_m.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE