Wild Camping - Getting caught - What if

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Best case scenario you get politely asked to move on by the landowner.

Worst case scenario is a loud gerroff my land, two large bangs and a week of digging buckshot out of your rear end

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
This year I .............OK rant over, sorry.

D.B.

Well, that does put a different slant on it - cheers for that and I hope we can all reflect upon our impact.

My first and lasting thoughts are sympathetic with your plight...... then it got me thinking about how wrong we have it in Society......you should not feel like this.......as we should ALL collectively own the land; bigger picture and all that.

Sadly but inevitably this can not happen as we have come too far (in my lifetime anyway). So as I said my lasting thoughts are with your issues and thanks for the perspective you illustrate.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Must admit that my rather flippant answer is based on the type of area I tend to camp in which is usually open fell, pretty much out of the way and I don't light fires or hack down trees on other peoples land. Also the idea of setting up camp kind of late and breaking camp early helps a lot.

Well, technically I sometimes have cut trees down on other peoples land but I was paid by the landowner to do it with a chainsaw so that's different.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
a few facts need to be injected into this thread. Wild camping is not a criminal offence, it is a civil offence called trespassing, you cannot be prosecuted in a criminal court for wild camping because no such criminal law exists (unless it is in a building which is squatting). Wild camping (trespassing) is a civil matter between the wild camper and the landowner, a landowner can take a wild camper through the civil courts but this is extremely unlikely to happen though not impossible. A wild camper that causes damage to anything at all like trampled crops, branches broken/cut off trees, damaged fencing or gates etc can be prosecutued in a criminal court for the offence of criminal damage or theft if plants etc have been taken, but not for wild camping because that is not a criminal offence.

And it should be noted the law applies to ''everyone'', it is noticeable how some landowners who spout off about breaking the law often seem to think they don't have to adibe by the same law themselves and think the law is made for everyone else to live by apart from them, those landowners who threaten wild campers with violence or actually inflict it have also broken the law commiting the serious criminal offence of assault and those who attempt to confiscate a wild campers kit or damage it have also broken the law and have committed a serious criminal offence of theft and criminal damage which they can be prosecuted for in a criminal court, such bullying and threatening landowners should take note that some wild campers are not scared by such tactics and will defend themselves with equal vigour. The truth is there are good and bad on both sides of the fence, I know wild campers who love and respect the countryside and follow the leave no trace rule and cause no harm whatsoever to anyone at all, there are also wild campers that are hooligans and yobbos and no quarter should be spared those, there are some very nice landowners who are symparthetic to others who are not so fortunate as to own hundreds of acres and there are some landowners who are just very nasty despicable bullies who would not even let you breathe the air over their land.

The trouble with the law is that it is not always reflected in reality on the ground and if police are called they seem more willing to believe the landowner than the other person. Wild camping is a case where common sense should prevail on both sides of the fence but often many act on bias instead. If you choose your location sensibly and behave responsibly then no problem is likely to arise when wild camping, but if you camp in the middle of a game shooting covert or close to a farmhouse or in someones orchard or nature reserve etc the you can expect the landowner to be irritated and deserve no sympathy. It should be noted there are folks on this forum who have wild camped and posted pictures so be careful who you condemn if you believe in fairness and the law being equal to all.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Very good info joonsy.
In Scotland there is a fishing permit called a "Dod" permit = don't ask just fish.
Of course in Scotland wild camping IS legal, but
"it is noticeable how some landowners who spout off about breaking the law often seem to think they don't have to abide by" laws that don't suit them "and think the law is made for everyone else to live by apart from them"
My son & I were wild camping in Perthshire & were accosted by a bully of a "lady" who threatened us with the police - I said "Call them - bet they're sick of you - so beat it"
Never saw her again.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
The problem we all face is that some people take the mickey, either through lack of knowledge or just don't care.

Lack of knowledge can perhaps be forgiven because unlike places like Sweden that have a constitutional right to roam and make camp (it still has some caveats to abide by and most do) we are not brought up with parents or grandparents that instill the respect due to the environment we want to enjoy. Instead we are brought up with a load of "you can't, you're not allowed and it is illegal" which does nothing to inspire respect when all one wishes to do is enjoy being outdoors.

The "just don't care" group are not likely to be members of a forum like this and are only interested in their own ego bubble or what they can gain personally and two fingers to everyone else. They cause us all the most grief.

Until things change all we can do is leave no trace, respect where we lay our heads for the night and make the best of a rubbish system. Even if we got the same rights as Sweden tomorrow it would take years before the majority had a similar way of thinking as the Swedes do now, but, we could be the leading lights....that's something to aspire to.

Rob.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
With the spaggetti junction of long distance paths in this country, surely not everyone is implied to stay at YH, BB, inns?

Of course not but organisation man can't abide people just enjoying the outdoors.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
" Even if we got the same rights as Sweden tomorrow"
Visit SCOTLAND! Plenty of room and by & large it's not much different from before the right to roam & wild camping freedoms.
The Loch Lomond Park controversy has largely been created by the park - the littering etc has been a problem for years - it's so close to a large city, & viz Billy Connolly's comment that camping = "a plastic mac & a bottle of wine"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE