Wild Camping - Getting caught - What if

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 16, 2016
Probably not the most responsible thread on the forum but...

I've wild camped plenty of times when in the lakes etc and there have always been others camped next to me near the summit somewhere. Pack it in pack it out. Obviously I've never had a problem with this all that way up.

But I'm taking to the hammock and need some trees so woodlands are going to be where I'm going to have to be camping and they are normally not halfway up the mountain side.

So my question is what is going to happen if I get caught wild camping by an owner or the police in the following places:

1) private woodland?
2) Council owned/common woodland?
3) National trust woodland?

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
I would add 4) Forestry Commission woodland? As that is where my girls are desperate to go and sleep over.
My own hope is that we would most likely be asked to move on as we are trespassing. We would quickly tidy away our clearly well kept camp leaving no trace and engaging the ranger/steward/guy in charge in interesting light conversation. We would exchange pleasantries and be on our way.

That's the hope anyway! As a teacher it might be awkward if it got too formal, although I might claim I was simply honing my skills for Forest Schools sessions :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I really struggle with threads like this, for a few reasons, the main one being that you're discussing an activity that many class as illegal on my forums, so when you discuss the legality or the response of people catching you it's worth thinking that there's a backlash on here before you even go and settle your head on someone else's property.

I would say your best bet is to go and get permission to wild camp and this is where the definition of wild campaign creates an issue, we wall want to wild camp, that's part of what we do, but doing it with permission to be on the land is the responsible way of doing it.

So when the national trust or the Forestry commission read this (which they do) instead of it alienating just you it alienates everyone else by association, that is not good for the res of us.

We know this through experience.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
"OK, we'll move on", as apposite to being challenged when wild camping as on the forum and that is all, surely no real problem?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Simple answer for the 4 categories is:
1. Don't do it without permission
2-4. You know who the landowner is, so ask permission

Anything else cannot be condoned by this forum.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
There seems to be a mistaken impression that campaigns to open up more of the country to wild camping and for more rivers to have free paddling and swimming are somehow harmed by people who do it anyway. See Kinder Scout for an example proving that this is not so. Of course if people do not want more freedom of access to countryside and waters then they must be indifferent to whether people unofficially exercise this freedom so why quash this sort of discussion?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
1, If caught the world will blow up and your head fall off.
2, If caught you say, "Yeah, I'll move on" and nobody is hurt by the procedure.

One of those two statements is generally true.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
This year I estimate (so far) I have had over a 1000 Snowdrop bulbs dug up from my bit of woodland, these I guess end up 5 or 6 to a pot and sold at 50p a time at car boot sales, it will be the Bluebells next and then as it warms a bit more the Marsh Marigolds, Irises, Rushes for around the newly dug garden ponds. Oh and a few buckets full of pond weed and Frogs Spawn/Tadpoles and maybe some of them fish fry. …..the year before last I was able to stay occupied keeping an eye on what was going on at this time of the year by sitting there and for instance making walking sticks and staffs, unfortunately last years coppiced Hazel about 70 suitable lengths all got pinched one night and they didn’t bother to cut it they just snapped it off from the crown which meant there really wasn’t anything suitable this year to harvest either. I have got there at six in the morning on more than one occasion to find ‘campers’ cooking duck eggs or worse (these are not wild ducks these are Indian Runners and other fancy ducks)….I have lost count of the number of times the Quail/Chickens have been released from pens. It’s impossible to leave tools on site or my own camping stuff because it’s simply vanishes. I am an Angler but I don’t fish on the ponds they are not big enough really and most of the fish are more like the ones in your back garden pond that come up and take pellets when they see you walk past, of course this doesn’t stop anything up 50 people a year that I have to kick off for fishing. ( I worked quite a number of years on the docks and at sea but I still learn quite a few new swear words every year when they are told regardless of how politely I do so that they cannot fish and are on private property) A fortnight ago on hearing one of the Muscovy Ducks giving an alarm I went out to find a couple (man and woman) about 35 years of age laughing and joking and cheering there dog on as it was swimming around in one of the ponds after one of the Geese, in truth the dog would normally have had no chance of even getting close to the Goose but the couple throwing the sticks and stones to try and steer it back towards the dog was kind of making it a bit unfair though as they said “it was just a bit of fun and the dog wouldn’t have hurt it”…..what I have was not given to me, I did not inherit it, I worked hard for it, I cannot afford to pay several thousand pounds a year to cover the cost of replanting the trees that are pulled down, cut down, broken or damaged, I don’t see why I should have to supply what at times seems like half the town with their Christmas Holly, or their mothers day Daffodils and Sticky Buds. Why should I stock up what at times seems like every newly dug Goldfish pond in Lincolnshire. Why do I have to supply all the new build houses with Snowdrops, Bluebells etc for the newly made borders……it hardly seems fair that I have to buy wood for a stove because dead wood in my own bit of woodland is stolen. The reason the Brambles are so plentiful in the autumn (for those that come and help themselves) is because the bushes are maintained throughout the summer as were the 18 Gooseberry bushes, at least up to last year when someone decided it would be easier to pick them if the bushes where in their own garden rather than in mine and dug them up and YES it is my Garden, it is not miles away from the house it is effectively MY BACK GARDEN. I don’t rely on my bit of land to live on but most of my neighbours do, I get more than a bit p------d off with what happens to my bit of land I certainly know how the surrounding farmers feel and what it costs them a year…….So for those that think they have every right to just camp where and when they feel like it and that it shouldn’t cause any problems because they are happy to move on (IF THE LANDOWNER CATCHES THEM) just sit and think again and be honest with yourself, you may only take a small amount of wood, you might only take a couple of lengths of Hazel, a few Ramsons or Jack by the Hedge to plant in your own garden, you might only take a few sprigs of Holly or a small basket of berries, the odd Egg but multiply that by however many others come onto that same bit of PRIVATE PROPERTY and do the same and it soon mounts up, add that to the others that come on actually intent on doing damage and causing problems and it really mounts up. Be truthful, how would you feel/react if you got up for work and looked out of your kitchen window to see a campfire (no matter how small) on your back grass your two 4 year old apple trees snapped (because they were not quite as strong as they looked for that new hammock the total stranger was trying out) and to see someone helping themselves to breakfast out of your raised beds or hanging baskets, would you be satisfied with them just moving on? With real no harm done, not just once but 2, 3, 4 times a week…..OK rant over, sorry.

D.B.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I like paragraphs too but they definitely break up the reading effect of a good rant ;)

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
or how about `homeless man turfed out of a good bed for the night ???`...............special edition from the `landowners` weekly ,gerroff my land you peasants .????? or what about ??.. if a catch you again i will burn ya first borns eyes out !!!

your views please ??? the world of perceived fear is a real one is it not ??? :) :) :) ps No religious salesmen were hurt or offended during this comment ;)

Jan 16, 2016
I was guessing that unless there are other factors involved (poaching, campfires, tree felling, theft etc) it would just be a case of being asked to move on and act with regular manners for both sides (though I am concerned about my head falling off and wouldn't want to inconvenience others with the world ending hence why I'm asking) but all folk are differennt and I'm guessing different parts of the UK also differ. For the avoidance of any doubt I'm talking simply of hiking for 12 hours and then hammocking in a new spot every night (so finding the owners is going to be a bit tricky) and I'm certainly not having any fires etc etc etc.

Baotman - Is there something special about Kinder Scout? I heard there were some special rules for Dartmore but never normally venture South. On a separate note I have read some info on Loch Lomond online.

I think I might expand my search to some law forums to get the nitty gritty details of the relevant acts, though understand that Scotland is a little different to England. If you know of the relevent acts and sections please let me know.

If anyone knows as to what is likely to happen in the following situations in Scotland that would also be of benefit. Especially if you have a personal experience in either England or Scotland in any of the following cats:

1) private woodland?
2) Council owned/common woodland?
3) National trust woodland?
4) Forestry Commission woodland?

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
1 private woodland - one night and move on
2, council land /common woodland - actually its `yours`but we have authority over it ? who are they ???
3, national trust ?? - land bought by the people for the people ?? who are `they` to tell you to move on ??
4, forestry commision - land rented to them from the queen to grow trees ,they do not own the camping rights !!! :) :)

enjoy :) :)

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
The trouble is that everybody tends to assume that it is alright for them to do it and that it is everybody else that is the problem.

I would say that the reaction will depend upon whether you are the first to be caught at it, or whether it has been a longstanding problem that the landowner has had to put up with in which case you will be met with less tolerance. If you are going to be truly minimalist and gone at the first light of dawn you are not likely to be found out.

I really can't see the police being called out though, they rarely attend anything less than a murder these days.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Kinder Scout was the scene of a mass trespass and led to improved access to the countryside. I mean, Why should I be allowed to walk across Dartmoor without identifying every landowner and asking their permission? To fail to do so would be regarded by some on this forum as laziness. Fortunately a lot of walking areas are now open to us and those criticising the wild campers take full advantage of the access so far gained.

One problem has been discussed before in that for some a camp implies a recreation of their home but in the open. Bivouacking is different and a gentler way to use the countryside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_trespass_of_Kinder_Scout

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Tengu, there are claims that you may not camp along the Ridgeway. But, for me that is nonsense.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
With the spaggetti junction of long distance paths in this country, surely not everyone is implied to stay at YH, BB, inns?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE