wild camping around troutbeck and Ill Bell

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hi,

me and some friends are looking to head off wild camping in march, we're in the planning phase and we're confident we can have a happy camp yet leave no trace. however we're discussing routes and area's to visit. we'd ideally like to see some wooded area's aswell as hills.

our initial plan was the west side of windermere between the lake and coniston but generally its rather flat and low round there so that's out, not to mention the only raised area is a bushcraft school (woodsmoke on claife hights)

so we decided to follow up yoke and Ill bell by hitting the troutbeck valley first, i'm primarily looking for advice for this area and any in general really. what would people recommend? whats the terrain like and are there any area's we should avoid or is there anything we really must do?
any help is very much appreciated!
thanks
pete

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Pete,

The Troutbeck valley is farmed pretty much all the way to the back of the valley. Only once you start climbing the valley walls would camping become an option but by then you're out of the tree line.
Despite the most careful of persons, open fires in the Lakes are fairly hard to have (unless prior premission has been sought) as anywhere low down is usually farmed or near houses.

How long did you plan to go for, are you carrying everything or do you need supplies mid-trip, tents / hammocks / on't floor in a bivvy bag? Let me know what sort of campsite (wooded area / high up in the hills / both) and I'll try and make some suggestions around central Lakes area.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
hi, we're out for two nights, first night we're looking at a wooded area to camp in out of sight with just our trangia's and some glo-sticks for company, second night we're planning to be over 1500ft so open camping.
we've all got tarps, bags and bivvi's and i think we're now pretty sure we won't be able to have an open fire (nother place nother time perhaps) but at least hot food is an option

the plan is open to change as we're sorting it in advance (mid march) so we can always sort any snags out.

the only supplies we'll need is water, on the routes we have i've marked wells and springs clearly so we can get to them if needs be but mostly we're off the track. everything else will be carried in and carried out.
pete

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Pete,

Are you still wanting the Troutbeck area or would an alternative route be an option (open fire on both nights a possibility, first low down in woods, 2nd high up (you'd need to carry the wood!!) on the tops.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
as long as its accessable from windy train station another route would be fine, we're just out stretching our legs and dusting the old cobwebs out really.
seriously if there's nice places to see let me know and i'll discuss it with the chaps.
fire would be nice rbh we can also practice firemaking skills this way.
i'm all ears ;)
pete

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Pete,

My suggestion would be Patterdale valley area (away from tourist spots). A short bus ride from Windermere train station or a nice walk in from Ambleside depending what time you plan to land. Just cooking dinner but I'll get some google earth points and pics sorted later tonight for ideal spots to camp (plus fire if wanted) and send them on to you.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Pete,

My suggestion would be Patterdale valley area (away from tourist spots). A short bus ride from Windermere train station or a nice walk in from Ambleside depending what time you plan to land. Just cooking dinner but I'll get some google earth points and pics sorted later tonight for ideal spots to camp (plus fire if wanted) and send them on to you.

that would be most gentlemanly of you sir ;)
cheers
pete

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
Melonfish, Scrimmy.

PM sent to you both, hope that helps.

Some pics as promised.....

Devils Chimney and the view from my hammock.
3242168715_4066cc31f5.jpg

3242169551_5c5c2366bb.jpg

Sorry no pics of Silver Bay (only 3 mins from Devils Chimney) so plently of time to check out both before you decide.

Priests Hole.
3198006220_3efc77bdb9.jpg

3198005506_79d29b3130.jpg

3198007304_72abedf8b8.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE