Wild camping around Sweden / Norway

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
i added this on another thread, ignore the transport parts that dont apply... :p

I thought id get in touch and give my 2 penn'th and suggest the Värmalnds area. I am from East Yorkshire myself but have just moved over to sweden to live with my girlfriend and this is where I am living (blomskog to be precise, right next to the border of norway)... If you made it to Årjäng (close to Karlstad) there are transport links to töckfors where there are many great places nearby to go out hiking, rock climbing, canoeing and fishing etc in the surrounding area. all forested too and easy to make shelters in. There are actually shelters already made in one or two places that you can sleep in.. but you can make shelters too.. its a good route to canoe down from töcksfors to bengtsfors via lennartsfors.. There are often a few norwegian and german tourists doing that route in the summer too but if you come in autumn there is not a soul...this area right now is very very desolate... when not at school and everyones at work if i go out i dont see anyone... sounds like heaven but after months of making fires, ice fishing and skating etc alone the novelty soon wears off.. oh, my girlfriend just told me you would have to make sure you have cash with you in lennartsfors as there is no cash machine nearby and you would need to pay at the loch too as you go through.. also there was a shop in lennartsfors that recently shut down so you'd have to stock up in Årjäng. If you search on a map for Östra silen, Värmlands county then you'll get a good idea.. or click here for some google pics:

(http://www.google.se/search?q=Ö...w=1024&bih=640)

You can go fishing for numerous different fish, last time i went in summer i caught many perch which i then just cooked over an open fire, also if youre fishing deeper you'll get pike and if you are lucky enough rainbow trout... i cooked the trout like ray mears where he takes the whole skeleton out and makes a brace to hold it over the fire... gorgeous! just recently some activists cut the nets of a rainbow trout fish farm nearby and released over 100 tons into the lake.. last time i went (before the ice came) i got 30kg! Some people in another thread said about open flame bans but ive not heard of that before... everyone here makes a fire wherever... no-one cares, to be honest, theres noone around to care... the water is also clean enough to drink form the lake and wash in etc (which im sure you already know as youre on this site) and fatwood and horses hoof fungus/fomes tinder are rediculously easy to find... the forestry here is mostly birch and scots pine... you also see heaps of deer and quite frequently moose... i nearly hit one on the way to Årjäng the other week infact as it was stood in the middle of the road... then a few days later whilst driving through the same area i saw a hunter had shot it and had loaded it into his truck... my friend today even told me that last week he saw a lynx...

anyway, hope that helps, and if you have any questions etc just give us a shout..

your best flying from stanstead to gothenburg then just get the train up to Karlstad and making your way from there... or you could fly from liverpool to olso and get the train to karlstad etc..

Good Luck!

Hej Då!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
@Sweden; it isn't Mr.Native. It's Ron... just plain, silly old Ron. The nativethingy is appearantly something you get after a certain nr. of posts.
I understand that you're Swedish too and not from Cornwall. You have wolves in the south?? A lone wolf in a city does not necessarilly mean trouble. It might be if it kept coming back and started foraging for itself or a family.
@Dan; welcome to the country, neighbour! Sounds like you are living back country. How are the transportationpossibilities around your place? I figured north-south is pretty well covered, but east-west is a nightmare.

dan_druff

Aug 4, 2012
Hull, England
@Sweden; it isn't Mr.Native. It's Ron... just plain, silly old Ron. The nativethingy is appearantly something you get after a certain nr. of posts.
I understand that you're Swedish too and not from Cornwall. You have wolves in the south?? A lone wolf in a city does not necessarilly mean trouble. It might be if it kept coming back and started foraging for itself or a family.
@Dan; welcome to the country, neighbour! Sounds like you are living back country. How are the transportationpossibilities around your place? I figured north-south is pretty well covered, but east-west is a nightmare.

tack så mycket ron.... transport is pretty dire.... i use my girlfriends car to get to shool....25km to årjäng (3000 inhabitants).... if not i couldnt get there... there are only buses from årjäng to grums or karlstad... then i can get the train to civilisation... :p

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
My brother in law and his family has their camping trailer parked at a camping site south of Årjäng, and they stay there more or less every weekend during summer. We visit them for a weekend now and then. Nice place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE