wild camp site

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Gray,
I hope you will take my response in the manner in which it is intended.
Wild camping, though popular under a bushcraft heading, is illegal under trespass and criminal damage laws. As such, BushcraftUK cannot recommend anywhere to go, as that would be advocating illegal behaviour. Access to any land should be with the full permission of the landowner.
That said, there are plenty of people who do it and return to civilisation leaving no trace of their transgression, but we ask that they do not discuss it openly on the forum, nor openly recommend places to go. You might recieve a few answers by private message, but again I ask that you don't promote the activity on the forum.
I am led to believe that certain areas will allow you to "wild camp" within certain boundaries, and I ask that you stick to these places after independant research.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nothing to worry about if you didn't know,
Tony is keen to uphold the forum as law abiding, so whilst "theorectical" situations can be talked about, actually breaking the law is a different matter.

I hope you find somewhere to practice a few of your skills.

ATB

Ogri the trog

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
scotland or dartmoor are both different lawwise in relation to camping. I think with Dartmoor its to do with the way the national park was created. sadly doesnt apply to other national parks though. Private land with permission is ok too but watch out for areas of water catchment for reservoirs. Try asking MOD sites for access i read somewhere that the rangemasters have to allow reasonable acccess if requested ( maybe on a forum thread here?) or if you have no luck try scouts sites if you have any connections or even the camping and caravanning club have undeveloped sites for wildish camping

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Crikey, it's a bad job when even the Ramblers are better at trespassing than us lot.
They organise it and televise it and we just pretend it doesn't happen.
Out rebelled by the Yeti Attack gator legged, bobble hatted old giffers:(

Anyway, pretty much most of the open land (not fenced off farm land) thats in the Lake District national park and above 1000 feet is OK.

They even said that themselves, but you might be struggling for decidous woodland in that.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Here we go again! Solo wildcamping is certainly NOT illegal. There is absolutely no criminal legislation preventing a person wildcamping. There is a civil wrong called a Tort for tresspass- it is NOT a criminal act. Likewise some areas may have bylaws about camping. As for criminal damage- anyone here wilfully damaging something needs to go elsewhere.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Not camped there but walked there a few times. Think I'll give the pioneers a ring.

Riven

Dec 23, 2006
England
I have camped at Shining Cliff twice this year with permission.Once in my teepee and once in a basha.Nice woods but is pretty busy at times,with party goes in the evening!
The owners get alot of problems with youngsters who ruin it for everyone else.Worth a try though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE