Why use this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Looks like the view from it would be good set up like that.
...for those lazy mornings that I'm rather too prone to.:eek:

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I've tried using a poncho in both orientations.
straight gives you more cover from rain, but alot of the tarp is not actualy doing anything, and is loose weight. it also needs 4 guys to be pegged out (which means you need more pegs, for the ultralightweight guys)
plus you need a bigger tarp to cover the length of the hammock

diagonal only needs 2 pegs (lighter, quicker to set up) covers the hammock better lengthwise, but doesn't cover you very well from the rain, I ended up with my head getting dripped on (but I sleep diagonaly in the hammock, not straight)

best comprimise I've seen was a hexagonal tarp, which eliminates the useless tarp area only protecting ground from the rain, but it does still need 4 pegs.

I just got a big groundsheet from millets, heavy but it covers everything, and was cheap.
one day I'll get something lighter, but for the minuit it does the job (I don't really do "fast and light" anyway)

I have fallen out of a hammock a few times, but only because I was doing something stupid. like half hanging out to get something from my bag, wrapping myself up in it and hanging upside-down, or trying to support myself with it wrapped up "warriors hammock" style. the stupidity of bored explorer scouts never cease to amaze......

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Taken from the DD Hammocks Website (under a piccie of a DD Tarp (3mx3m) set up this way):

"Tarp set up on the diagonal - this set up provides the maximum protection for a hammock in extreme conditions/driving rain"

and, according to Hugh McManners in "The Backpacker's Handbook", the wedge shape of a ridge tent permits easy entry/exit at the higher end, with a shorter end to provide a smaller face to the wind, whereas the traditional equal-height A frame set up gives additional headroom, but sacrifices the streamlining effect of the sloped ridge (paraphrased)

edit: I would assume that this same effect translates to a tarp set up at the diagonal

Carbuncle

Forager
Jan 12, 2009
Merseyside
As has been said, even with the 3x3 tarp the end of your hammock will be pretty close to exposed with an A frame.

As well as the 4-attatchment point vs 6 advantage phaserifle mentioned, you only need to find/cut one pole for those evening hours lounging with a book and a hipflask. I find it hard to see why (distance between trees permitting) I'd ever go back to the A Frame with a hammock, unless strong winds was a problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE