Why use this?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I've noticed that a lot of people use this type of set up. In my eyes it is just more complicated and offers less protection....so why do people use if over the standard A-frame? Is there certain advantages to using this one?

fast_fly_rain_tarp___navy.jpg

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It's all about Pythagorus and his Theorum!

Setting up on the diagonal gives greater length, which is handy if you are in a hammock and have a standard MOD basha for example!

TBH I have only done this once or twice as I have a huge tarp for Meets and a 3 x 3m for carrying - both give enough coverage for hammocking.

Simon

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
One advantage I can think of is that using a square tarp on the diagonal gives a bit more protection to the hammock underneath as the length of the ridgeline is increased. I agree though that when the rains coming down sideways it's better to to use a conventional setup.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Having never done this............is this easier/quicker/simpler to rig?

and........does it offer any advantage if used for shade rather than rain protection?

Smoggy.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The set up looks very similar to hennessey hammocks and tarps,they are quick and easy to set up and work very well.The drawback with a set up like this is a lack of space under the tarp if it rains.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
now i know nothing about hammocks but im sure that isnt the best place to rig one, imagen falling out in your sleep into a river :eek: lol

Side rain being the main disadvantage here.

When in the woods (most of the time), I personally prefer this diagonal setup. Only two point to guy out. Surface area covered (on the ground) is the same, just different angle.

I most of the time prefer not too windy spots. If Wind & Rain I'll take a 3x3 tarp, otherwise my JRB 8ftx8ft will suffice.

So having protection from sun, wind and rain covered, simplicity and speed makes the diagonal my prefered setup....

Grtz Johan

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I recently used a hex fly for my Hennessey hammock and it's far superior to the original. One problem I had with the original was getting any decent tension with just one tie out per side and the catenary(?) curve of the tarp. The original tarp didn't give enough spare cover for me. I guess it was designed like that to save on material and weight. I'd prefer more cover for the weight sacrifice.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
It's all about Pythagorus and his Theorum!

Setting up on the diagonal gives greater length, which is handy if you are in a hammock and have a standard MOD basha for example!

TBH I have only done this once or twice as I have a huge tarp for Meets and a 3 x 3m for carrying - both give enough coverage for hammocking.

Simon
I'm with Simon on this one. My DD 3x3m tarp is HUGE! and light enough to carry about. At this size I wouldnt need to pitch it this way.

I spose like with any tarp there are a million ways to set it up and one set up will never fit all solutions.

There must be a reason!!!!

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
now i know nothing about hammocks but im sure that isnt the best place to rig one, imagen falling out in your sleep into a river :eek: lol

i spent my first night in my hennessay in a spot just like that! i spent a couple of hours freaking out when the lines creaked. :eek:

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
There isn't normally much risk of falling out, i've never fallen out mine yet. I think it would be pretty cool being in a spot like that, if you could get to sleep with the sound of the river/stream below you. But im a heavy sleeper so makes no difference to me :D

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I've seen a lot worse Pete ;)

http://extremehammock.com/

ok.. having a kip over a traintrack, that would make a great edition to the darwin awards! lmao

there was a documentry on tv a while ago called 'climbing the giants' this guy joined a team of arborists and climbed an 80 meter eucaliptus tree and spent the night up there in a hamock (he had a harness on)
now thats something i wana do!:D

pete

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
ok.. having a kip over a traintrack, that would make a great edition to the darwin awards! lmao

there was a documentry on tv a while ago called 'climbing the giants' this guy joined a team of arborists and climbed an 80 meter eucaliptus tree and spent the night up there in a hamock (he had a harness on)
now thats something i wana do!:D

pete

It's those dudes in the portaledges hanging off vertical rock faces what get me, no thank you

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It's practically impossible to fall out of a hammock once you're in, unless you're really trying. It's never going to happen accidentally while you sleep.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
Indeed it is difficult to fall out.
Getting in is usually more fear worthy, especially in those over the bridge versions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE