Why REAL Paracord?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Some very sensible replies so far with some very valid points ..... but B&Q nylon isn't as nice to cuddle and stroke :naughty:

I don't have a paracord fetish,

Towing a car? .. at 550lbs . it better be a very small light car ....... perhaps an Elise? ... although to risk a Lotus with a test like that would be entirely your own responsibility :eek:): ... of course you could always twist a few lengths of paracord together

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Gary said:
Paracord, purlon line, field line, nylon line from BQ etc etc - in my opinion its all the same at the end of the day! :yikes:
It would take a braver person than I to jump out of a plane with a parachute that was connected to me using B&Q cord!

Paracord is that - mil-spec cord. I think we only really worry about using it here in the UK because of the price. The thing that paracord (real not cheapo stuff) gives is consistancy from one piece to the next.

The mil-spec for paracord is MIL-C-5040H and you can access details on the spec here (Type III are references to paracord):

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/docimages/0001/65/44/5040H.PD6

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Towed a car with a lot less, even towed a car with a hazel bond :shock:

All you have to do with cord, is to double and double and so on, then you have cord that will tow tons!

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
bigjackbrass said:
How well does the Kevlar line hold a knot? A few years ago a company in the US was marketing Kevlar shoelaces guaranteed never to break, which was fine apart from the fact that they were exceptionally difficult to keep tied. Does the Point North line fare better?

Sorry I have not replied sooner, I don't have a computer at the mo.

I have not had any problems with knots in the kevlar line, I think it could just be the white inner strands that are kevlar.

Thanks for the comments Gary, very well said. No I don't use it every day but I think you get the point, just regular use.

550 is nice but not essential, and as for parachutes not every parachute is rigged out with 550 line, there is a huge variety of rigging line available many of which has no inner strands at all.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Gary said:
OK ok - not for parachuting! :eek:):

But for MOST bushcraft applications! :nana:

Given that in bushcraft terms, split down bits of strigy tree root and twisted nettle stalks do the job, I would think anything resembling string would be an improvement. :wave: :eek:): :wink:

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
i just use the 99p store para cord for setting up my tarp and other camp crafts i may need cord for, if it ties nots and keeps good tention, does the job i want it to do then its good, some times i like to make my cord at camp out of willow or nettles, i keep the good stuff for long journys to places im unsure of but for weekend trips and overnite stay, cord is cord

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE