Why REAL Paracord?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Just curious,why the insistence on REAL paracord?

It is not being used by us as climbing rope or on a parachute.

Is there any real difference that makes any odds when holding up a tarp or any similar application?(Genuine question by the way,I don't know if there is any advantage in using the real thing) :?:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
BorderReiver said:
Just curious,why the insistence on REAL paracord?

It is not being used by us as climbing rope or on a parachute.

Is there any real difference that makes any odds when holding up a tarp or any similar application?(Genuine question by the way,I don't know if there is any advantage in using the real thing) :?:
Good question!

I find two big differences between good quality and poor quality (I prefer to think of it this way rather than real and fake) is that the poor quality stuff seems to unravel easily. But, worse than the fact that the cheap stuff seems to suffer ill effects from abrasion much quicker and become all furry.

The other thing is price ... there can be very little in it between the good quality cord and the poor quality stuff ... so why pay over the odds for rubbish!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
In addition to the better wear resistance Adi mentions, the cheap stuff tends to have fluff in the middle, the good stuff has between 7 and 9 inner strands. The inner strands can be removed and used as cordage or fishing line or whatever, effectively turning 10 feet of paracord into 90 feet of cordage, plus 10 feet of paracord sheath which can still be used for the original purpose. The fluffy filler of the cheap stuff is useless.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
When you've picked up some cheap stuff from a local camping store ...... and you've picked up some luuuuuuuverly black ... and desert tan .. ( I will be in Qatar in October ... but in a 5 star Hotel..... and not the desert :roll: ) from Joe ...... and you look at the difference ...

"Why?" ..... well you just *know* .. that's all :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Here are some photos of good quality vs. poor quality paracord. The good quality stuff (the tan colored cord) is from Blackhawk Industries while the poor quality stuff is from .... :tapedshut ... my lips are sealed, let's not name names here! :wink:

The first picture shows the outside of the cord. Notice that the Blackhawk stuff has a tighter weave and is thicker than the poor quality stuff.
2paracord1.JPG

Next is a shot of the cord when cut. The poor quality cord frays easily when cut while the good stuff holds up well.
2paracord2.JPG

Finally, getting to the heart of paracord. The Blackhawk Industries cord is well made with 9 separate strands inside. These strands are formed from thin cord and the lengths are made knotted together at intervals. The poor quality cord The poor quality cord (pictured bottom) doesn't contain strands as such, more of a pith of fibers that frays easily. Once again, notice how the Blackhawk paracord doesn't fray while the poor quality cord frays almost instantly.
2paracord3.JPG

Bottom line ... the poor quality cord is really not worth buying for anything that you want to last ... if you just want cheap cord that you are going to use once and cut up or throw away, then it will do, but if you want something that lasts, go for the good stuff.

Blackhawk Industries paracord is available from Jack and Jamie from www.woodlandorganics.com

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I just wanted to add that the price difference between a 100 ft (approx 33m) shank of Blackhawk paracord and the "paracord with no name) was just over £3.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
The other question would be "Why not use string?" Plenty of people do, and certainly a natural fibre twine tends to have advantages over cheap paracord in terms of price, ability to stay tied and biodegradability (for those of you not clearing up after yourselves, tut tut). If you need the strength and versatility of paracord then get the good stuff. If you just need a basic cord then I'd suggest looking at the traditional stuff instead.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
bigjackbrass said:
The other question would be "Why not use string?" Plenty of people do, and certainly a natural fibre twine tends to have advantages over cheap paracord in terms of price, ability to stay tied and biodegradability (for those of you not clearing up after yourselves, tut tut). If you need the strength and versatility of paracord then get the good stuff. If you just need a basic cord then I'd suggest looking at the traditional stuff instead.
I fully agree with that statement bigbrassjack. I certainly don't waste paracord!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The other question would be "Why not use string?"
I do.....
I've had a 20ft length of para cord in my pack for about 4 years now and its untouched.... string (cheap coconut fibre twine from wilko's) does everything just fine..... you can also fray it to make good tinder.... and for £1 for a massive ball of the stuff you can't go wrong.

Ed

jakunen

Native
Other reasons to use the 'real' stuff. The inner of the naff stuff pokes through the sheeth far too easily (no good for cammo) and its NOT at all weather proof.

I ran out of twine so had to use paracord to tye up my grape vines.
The good stuff is still going strong after a few years (and grape vines ain't that light).:biggthump
The rubbish (high-street camping shop) stuff rotted through and dumped 45 foot of vine on my back. NOT FUN!!!!:rant:

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
There is actually a lot more cordage to be had out of the 550 paracord than just the inner strands. The outer sheath is made up woven twisted fibers rather than woven bundled fibres like on other cord (this is also why it resists fraying) this means the outer sheath can also be striped down and used (makes exellent thread for sewing).
But does anybody actually strip down their paracord to use? Would you, for regular everyday bushcrafting?
Has anyone tried stripping down paracord? I have, but you can't just remove one strand at a time, say for fishing or clothing repair, try to remove one and the whole let ends up coming out.
I don't think 550 cord is suitable for the regular everyday bushcrafter, its more suited to emergency survival kit type use.
The other cord is perfectly good if you don't intend to strip it down, for hoochie guy lines and such.
I think if you're doing this stuff regular its a much easier life to just use plain old 5mm rope for ridge line (whatever half decent brand you fancy) 2-3mm guy lines and spares/extensions, and seperate fishing kit and repair/sewing kit.

For just a general do it all multi purpose hank I'd reccomend carrying some of the black kevlar line available from point north. Its very thin so you can carry a lot of it in a small hank, its very strong with low stretch. Its good for everything from emergency guy lines and washing/drying lines, to fishing lines and snares. And you will use it as a regular bit of kit. Its also pretty cheap.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
bushblade said:
For just a general do it all multi purpose hank I'd reccomend carrying some of the black kevlar line available from point north.

How well does the Kevlar line hold a knot? A few years ago a company in the US was marketing Kevlar shoelaces guaranteed never to break, which was fine apart from the fact that they were exceptionally difficult to keep tied. Does the Point North line fare better?

P

PeterC

How strong is paracord, I mean the real stuff.
Is the 550 in the name related to the breaking stain?
Will it hold up a hammock?
Could you tow a car with it?
Are there any recommended knots to use with it? as it appears slightly slippery.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Real paracord has a minimum breaking strain of 550 lbs ... remembering that knots and so on can reduce this significantly. Also, real paracord isn't slipperly at all and takes most knots really well.

Towing, probably not. Hammocks, yes.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

In my hammock there's real paracord. It's green all over and this way, makes perfect camouflage in a treetop... :D :wink:

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
towing a car with it ? i certainly wouldn't do that ! i have seen a special car towing cable brake even though there wasn't that much force applied to it. Those things are far stronger and actually ment to do that ! ( towing cars that is )

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Paracord, purlon line, field line, nylon line from BQ etc etc - in my opinion its all the same at the end of the day! :yikes:

Before I am burnt at the stake let me explain. :shock:

Like the knife debate the best 'string' in a emergency is the string you have on you - so by this reckoning the best idea is to carry 550 Paracord (as we have seen it has many uses) but as Will wisely points out who uses it every day? Bit like owning a 4x4 just for the school run. A good woodsmen builds a shelter that doesn't need cordage, so what does he need top notch paracord for? In the Army we used bog standard green string for most things and this was just fine but most squaddies still carried a roll of paracord or similar on them 'just in case'- in case of what?.

Now to training - bow drill cordage, I have seen students use many different types of cordage for this and ALL the paracord types have worked as far as I can recall theres a little stretch ect but thats all part of the course and would happen with leather too. People often (probably through sales burb etc) over estimate the strength of cordage they need after all your not going to use it to climb Everest. Incidentially going back to Will's point again - here (on bow drilling) people are often reluctant to use their cordage and on most of the courses I've worked on its been necessary to supply them with some (never thought about it before but that must say something - back to the 4x4 thing probably).

However while paracord (or similar) has great strength and versatility which is good in an emergency it has one property that makes its not so good in general usage - is doesnt rot. I've seen many a tree scared by old cord still wrapped around it and apart from being a bad example of 'the craft' its also an eye sore and an insult to Mother nature.

The answer - unlike a knife Paracord (in all its guises) isn't expensive so it doesn't hurt to buy the best but I would suggest you buy your 10 -15m and then keep it in your possibles pouch or pocket for that just in case scenario - while for the rest of your training (if you must had string) go to the garden centre or similar and purchase a few rolls of string made from natural materials which will decompose if lost or forgotten in the field. This is weaker - yes - but in its weakness lies its greatest strength for it will teach you to use it correctly, it will improve your knots and lashings and ultimately not being a by product of the petro industry it is actually friendly to old mother nature and lets face facts the old girl needs all the help we can give her these days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE