Why does army surplus kit all smell the same?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I don't know for sure but there are several options:

- stuff used to treat canvas against mold (smells even worst, duh..);
- possibly the use of InfraRed Reflective coatings (?);
- other preserrvation agents used during storage;

Good topic, I'm curious as well...

It's really quite simple...most surplus is sold as job lots, usually if it's clothing it's either bundles of shirts or trousers etc, these then are inevitably container stored or warehouse stored until the auctions are set up. Usually there are disposal contractors who do this for the MOD and having been to a few warehouses in my time, they are just stored in some of the worst conditions exposed to humidity, condensation etc so it's all down to he buyer (surplus shop usually or distributer) to sort the wheat out from the chaff in these bundles.)

So it's no surprise that they have this musty smell...

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Isn't it just a warehouse smell? Most surplus here come from mobilisation depots (our defense relied on a vast drafted reserve and most military kit was stored in hidden or camoflauged depots) so they have been on the shelf for decades.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I think it's the canvas. i bought a brand new canvas tool bag, in packaging, at the bovington tank museum. I'm slowly modding it into a nice holdall for camping gear. when I got it out of the packaging it smelled very simmilar to the "army surplus" smell. or I suppose it could be the ropes in the handles that make the smell. come to think of it the stores at scouts smell the same, with a little petrol mixed in. but that could be the damp, what with them being stored in a girt big container like you get on the back of lorries.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I doubt vey much that its due to Swaddies feet or bums.

Its just the smell of common mildew that you'ld expect from most materials stowed away in a badly ventilated area.
Canvas and rope, even when treated against it, will succumb eventually; and will whiff very "mousey". After a while, the dry mould will be visible in welts and joints as a whitish/yellowish powdery dust,

Ceeg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I asked the same question a few months ago but didn`t get the answer I was looking for, whatever that smell is I love it. If it was sold by the bottle I`d be a very happy man.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I asked the same question a few months ago but didn`t get the answer I was looking for, whatever that smell is I love it. If it was sold by the bottle I`d be a very happy man.

Eau de Surplusstore, Mon cher!

I'm a fan of that smell too!

Although it has changed over the years!

When I first started buying surplus kit it was a real Camphor / Moth Balls smell. Nowadays, with the CS95 webbing, there's more of a hint of new plastic in the mix........

Still Luurrve it though!

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Glad other people like the smell. Not that i'm a kit sniffer :lmao: but there's something about it that brings back memories, some good, some, interesting and some painful :D

Tis a lovely smell

Jan 9, 2009
Merseyside
the reason all the kit smells is becuase all british army kit goes to the same warehouse and can be stored in the same surroundings untouched for over a year... hence why all kit smells the same.
I am around army surplus good everyday and i even come home smelling of the kit.. which isnt always good for the ladies!!

People always say it smells 'musty'... fact of it is.. if you left your kit unwashed and in a box for a year your personal kit probably would smell a bit 'musty'. Just give it a wash n more often than not the smell goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE