Why do some bumble bees...

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Crawl along the ground at snail's pace?

You know how you see them on the pavement, sometimes just sitting there or sometimes walking realllllly slow?

I've always wondered that - and I can't find anything online about it.

I used to think it was the weather/temps but they seem to do it all year round!

:dunno:

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
i always thought that if they were on the floor then they had used their sting and were in the process of dying??

i dont know alot about bees though so thats probably something i made up!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At this time of year it's usually 'cos they're too cold. If they show no signs of damage or mite infestation (crawling things all over their heads) put them out of the rain somewhere where the Sun will warm them up.
I've got a white meter box at the front door and it's a Sun trap, there's usually one or two a day on it just now warming up. They seem to seek it out, sit at peace for twenty minutes or so and then buzz off.
If the bee is still wandering/ staggering around the sameplace tomorrow it's probably not going to survive.

cheers,
Toddy

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Thanks Toddy.

What about the ones in summer then?

In an old workplace, under a canopy area in summer it got seriously hot. There were loads of bees all the time just sitting on plants, very dosile - and on the ground. I assume they can feel the extreme effects of that as well?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
By Summer a lot of them are getting old, some are sick....those mites again....these bumble bees aren't *hive* builders as such like the honey bees, but they live in small colonies, sometimes containing several hundred worker bees.
Sometimes though bees just sit in the Sunshine, especially the mining bees, they bury their egg with a bit of honey and sit on the surface and have a sit down sometimes.

http://www.bumblebeeconservationtrust.co.uk/about_bees.htm
http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/projects/bombus/bumblebeeid.html

No idea why you have so many sitting around though. Hopefully the beekeepers will see this thread and reply.

cheers,
Toddy

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Thanks Toddy - great info!

I was working the other day in a garden centre, and I was chatting to a friend, who had her little 3 yr old boy with her.

He noticed a bee 'resting' on the ground, to which I and his mum both told him to be careful not to stand on it - I intended to lift it to safety once I had stopped chatting.

But of course, he was pratting about and stood on it slightly - but it wasn't dead - almost.

I quickly stepped on it hard to put it out of it's misery - much to the surprise/bewilderment of the little boy. He was transfixed at the squashed bee, and just kept staring at it - bottom lip quivering! :rolleyes:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I pick them up and hold them for a few minutes between my cupped hands - following my fathers example - he'd rush indoors and get a small blob of honey or jam on his fingertip to feed them. They either soon pep-up and fly off, or they end their time in your company.

Lovely creatures

Ogri the trog

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I pick them up and hold them for a few minutes between my cupped hands - following my fathers example - he'd rush indoors and get a small blob of honey or jam on his fingertip to feed them. They either soon pep-up and fly off, or they end their time in your company.

Lovely creatures

Ogri the trog

Don't they sting in that state?

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Funny that I have one this morning, crawling about on the patio very slowly, than crawled up one of the chairs, nearly sat on him by accident, then he climbed to the top of the back rest which is where i took the following pictures.
It seems to be in reasonable condition.

bumble1.jpg

bumble2.jpg

It's walking about along the top of the chair at moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE