Why didn't the cattail ignite?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

davidpingu

Forager
Nov 3, 2012
Cwmbran
Will a cattail take a spark immediately then? I opened one up once and they feel too silky like dandelion seeds. Do you just open it up and strike to it or fluff it all out?

I'd read that they are better soaked in water first and then dried and fluffed up as they make a better mass than lots of little silky seedlings that don't really want to bind together but rather just blow away.

I've had two attempts to get spark to birch bark so far and have failed twice. The first piece was from a fallen log and came off in a big sheet. It was obviously damp though and even after being left to dry in my coat for a couple of hours, scraping at the surface caused more of a dust than nice dry and curly shavings so wouldn't catch. It didn't go to waste as such as it made an excellent shelter from rain to an early flame and once it took a hold of flame it really helped to get wet kindling going.

The second time I tried was to get the real thin and papery bark that was shedding from a very young tree. It felt very dry and I even attempted to get spark to it indoors to improve my chances but no such luck. All I did was sort of rub sections of it between my hands to produce some shavings and to fluff up areas of the bark but it wouldn't take.

The shavings were still larger than the ones in the video but being so thin I found I couldn't use the technique in the videos above with the really thin stuff.

So somehow I think I need to find a birch bark in between the two extremes. Easier said than done on a wet and rainy day in the woodlands I've been in recently. Perhaps it doesn't help that in a substantial woodland that's been around for some time, most of the birch will have naturally died off from the bigger more shady trees taking over.

Any advice on how you collect the right kind of bark would be helpful, like what you know will work and what won't in typical British weather rather than on a dry summers day!

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
If you watch the birch bark video carefully, you'll see that the bark I use is from a deadfall- a very long dead, dead fall! The bark you find on rotting logs is ideal, actually better than from live tree's unless you can find naturally shedding, multi layer bark.

With the deadfall stuff, just scrape off the soily dark brown stuff from inside the bark, then scrape off any damp layers from the outside, and unless it's totally soaked, it should scrape up okay and take a spark no bother.

Gathering the dead stuff can be done at any time, just shake or scrape off as much of the soil as possible, then take it home and put it somewhere to dry out. Then cut it up into useable sized bits and take it with you when you venture out.

I am always on the lookout for tinder materials when wandering, as well as anything else I might be able to use, from honeysuckle bark to conifer resin, to nice walking stick blanks etc etc.

good luck

Steve

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Will a cattail take a spark immediately then? I opened one up once and they feel too silky like dandelion seeds. Do you just open it up and strike to it or fluff it all out?
I have found that cattails (normally!) take a spark very very easily, and that they do burn long enough to ignite some dry tinder - the kind of tinder that is often growing near to where the cattails are growing... That dry curly grass, dead bracken etc.
When I'm after natural tinder that I can use immediately, I head to the dampest areas! It sounds crazy, but there's always loads of dry stuff growing near bogs and marshes.
Bog cotton is the daddy. That stuff takes a spark very well.
But there are usually lots of other things growing there, which, even if they won't take a spark, will take a flame very quickly and are a good step between your fluffy and your kindling.

With cattails, I twist them in half and let some of the fluff come out. I shelter it well to stop the seeds blowing away. Then I strike a spark into the bottom of the little pile of fluff so the flame grows up the pile. Then I put a nice pile of dry curly grass or something similar on top of it (being careful not to starve the flame of oxygen.)
I've found this to be very successful. I even got my brother, who I don't think has ever even lit a fire in the wild with matches, to get a fire going using just a firesteel and a cattail in the snow, whilst it was snowing!! :D
Last week was the exception though when I just couldn't get them to ignite. :(
I still haven't been out to try again yet.
I do need more practice, but I must have got a hundred fires going now using only a firesteel, and about a dozen using cattails.
This video got me started: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc8y6eLEcJA
Ashley Cawley has some fantastic videos.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I finally got round to trying this again.
I went to the same place and tried again to get one of the cattails to take a spark. Again it didn't work :(
But I took a second one to dry out. (Although they didn't seem at all damp.)
It made a huge difference!! :D
I broke it in half and pulled some of the fluff out, then when it was burning I kept tapping it with a stick to keep more fluff coming out.
Here's a video of the cattail taking the spark:
[video=youtube;FXsV_rvU8WA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXsV_rvU8WA[/video]
Cattails are henceforth reinstated as my favourite natural tinder :D
Thanks for all the advice!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE