Why did the bushcrafter cross the river?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
So, plotting and planning some ideas for trips I want to make, an alarming number of them look like I am going to have to ford rivers.

What are peoples preferred river crossing techniques? I'm not talking the various methods of crossing deep water, facing up stream in a group all holding each others waists like you see in the books. I mean. Do you stop, take your shoes off, change into sandles, or something, walk across, dry feet off, put shoes back on? Do you wade on through and fix the wet feet later? Do you have another method?

Cheers

Julia

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've taken a notion recently to the rubber soled, lycra/neoprene upper type sandshoes that canoeists and surfboarders are using. Lidl's and Aldi's have them in cheaply (and I fit kid's sizes :D :D) but they strike me as being ideal for crossing burns, or even just wandering up one and not worrying overmuch about slipping (they're supposed to be non slip) or putting my foot down on something jaggy. They're not heavy either, so if you really do find a stretch of your walk where you do have to cross a lot of water, then they might prove worth a fiver.

atb,
M

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Those 'wet shoes' are also good for camp shoes in the warmer months, or even slippers at home (I had a pair for a couple of years, handy for nipping outside!)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think you've got to be aware of your own limitations first. Especially wading solo.
If you know you can wade across, try and find the point where the current is weakest. Even a strong person, who is wading properly, can be knocked off their feet, in water below knee height, if the current is strong, and they are wading properly.
Every river goes from a riffle, to a run, to a pool, then repeats that. Riffle,run,pool.
The flow might be weakest toward the back end of the pool, before its channelled into a riffle again, but can you see the bottom? No? Maybe not the best lace to cross then? What kind of river is it? Freestone? Are there big boulders? Dangerous to cross, sudden drop offs, ankle grabbers? Is it peaty, acidic, is visibility low? Dont get out halfway, then lose sight of the bottom. Wear polarised lenses, so the light is not reflected off the top of the water and you can see the bottom
Even in very shallow water, If the current is strong, youre feet will start to be sucked into the gravel, into a little indentation, as you cross and you'll have rocks lodged upstream of your foot, coming down at your ankles.
So boots are best generally, then dry your feet, and put on waterproof socks on the other side, and put your boot back on, so your feet remain dry. The army surplus waterproof socks were made by sealskinz and are cheap.
I would cut a wading staff, heavy strong wood, shoulder height, or above and lean into it, against it upstream, into the current, and always have your staff firmly planted into the current at an angle before you sidestep across. But eve then, it'll get pushed back very easily by the flow.
Is it a spate river? Ive been stood in a river which has come up ten inches in a few minutes. The first sign of a river rising is normally debris, leaves, sticks twigs etc coming down. If you see that the general advice is to get out fast. If you do get knocked off your feet, your rucksack should not be on your back, and you should be swept downstream feet first, so your heels contact the bottom first. [Although some say keep your rucksack on now]
I wade cross all sorts rivers hundreds of times a year, a fly fishers wading staff has a heavy lead roof tile wrapped around the bottom, covered in heatshrink, with a rubber ferule so the fish dont hear you! The weight of the staff makes a heck of a lot of difference. Its very difficult to stick a staff into the water at an angle upstream of you, in a current, without it being weighted. You hav to have it firmly on your shoulder and lean into it with your entire body weight.
Its dangerous, and all of the rivers I go on, see people drown ever year. Always think safety. Its one one of the most dangerous things you can do outdoors.

Theres a couple of good links here:

http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/08/28/how-to-wade-across-a-river/

http://frontierbushcraft.com/2012/08/07/how-to-assess-a-water-crossing/

And here:
http://www.equipped.com/21-76/ch17.pdf

Last edited:

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
Don't get your clothes wet. Don't get your kit began wet, make a watertight package out of it using your poncho or tarp. It will float. Finally protect your feet. Boots or footware on. It will be cold so look forward to a brew and dry off on the other side. Doing this can be DANGEROUS so avoid if possible.
Crowe

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Don't get your clothes wet. Don't get your kit began wet, make a watertight package out of it using your poncho or tarp. It will float. Finally protect your feet. Boots or footware on. It will be cold so look forward to a brew and dry off on the other side. Doing this can be DANGEROUS so avoid if possible.
Crowe

I agree with everything you've said, in principle. But it seems over kill for something that is only calf deep. And if it's deeper than that, I'm walking along the river till I find a bridge...

Julia

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Quixoticgeek, you will be surprised at how little dept of water will upset your feet/balance. Water pressure against your leg will tip/stagger you easily.
Like in martial arts, set one foot down, in a shorter step and transfer your weight over that leg before lifting second leg for the next step. a staff upstream will give some stability, make sure it also is well set. Take your time, nothing fancy just be carefull.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Crocs for the river crossings and evening camp. If it's due very wet and you'll have constant wet feet, Sealskinz.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Quixoticgeek, you will be surprised at how little dept of water will upset your feet/balance. Water pressure against your leg will tip/stagger you easily.
Like in martial arts, set one foot down, in a shorter step and transfer your weight over that leg before lifting second leg for the next step. a staff upstream will give some stability, make sure it also is well set. Take your time, nothing fancy just be carefull.

That's very sound advice!

For most rivers in the UK there is usually a 'levee', like a natural embankment of deposited stones and pebbles on inside bends which mean it's easier to get across. Also it's worth patrolling areas up and down for a few hundred metres and sometimes there's an easier crossing.

Hope this helped! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE