Why dangler sheaths?

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
morning guys Just the same question as the title.
why do lots of bushcrafters prefer dangler knife sheaths?
I myself prefer something tight to the belt to me it makes the carry more positive.
is the dangler sheath preferred cos it don't get in the way when you sit down or is there a practicality that I am missing?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Must admit I prefer something tight to my side. Not a huge fan of danglers but can see why they are used.
Onle ever carry mine baldrick style now.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I assumed the main reason was that your knife hangs below your rucksack hipbelt.......obviously....:thinkerg:

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Those three reasons are the main one but especially because it hangs clear of the hip belt of my pack

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
It doesn’t apply quite so much with a smaller ‘bushcraft’ type knife but with a ‘Combat/Survival’ (generally larger) type knife the dangler prevents (or helps to prevent) driving the knife handle into the Short Rib and injuring yourself in the event that you have to bend/squat/lie/sit down quickly…..At least that was my understanding of it.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
As above....keeps it out of the way and easy to access

I like a non dangler sheath with some plaited paracord through it which then goes on baldrick style
And can also be knotted up to make a dangler....or indeed knotted up, forgotten about, and the sheath used as it was intended

greatbear

Apr 8, 2013
rotherham
that arrangement seems the best one I was just thinking about where we carry our knives when I carry fixed blade its most likely at the back side of my left hip.
after reading Dave canterburys explanation of the triangle of death!! ive seen folk with dangler type sheaths swinging real low near the groin area. it just sent shivers down my spine!!

That's very much the point of the double dangler arrangement. The wheat can be worn high using the bottom loop or low when driving or wearing a pack.

1 Sheath by British Red, on Flickr

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I tend to carry my knife in my pack until needed or we make camp. Then the dangler system is handy because you're bending down, sitting etc. With smaller knives like my ESEE 3, I use a TecLok and have the handle pointing downwards at 45 degrees behind me. This works very well for me, re sheathing is easy and safe.

But if I'm up a tree with a Silky, a dangler is essential, you'll quickly find out why, particularly if it's a bit crowded with branches or ivy.

This video shows when I don't like a fixed sheath, and it applies to all larger knives.

[video=youtube_share;NWtlWAh4T8M]http://youtu.be/NWtlWAh4T8M[/video]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
morning guys Just the same question as the title.
why do lots of bushcrafters prefer dangler knife sheaths?
I myself prefer something tight to the belt to me it makes the carry more positive.
is the dangler sheath preferred cos it don't get in the way when you sit down or is there a practicality that I am missing?

If you have a gut like mine you tend to overhang your belt so that a "high and tight" sheath carry is invisible and could lead to you stabbing the rolls of blubber.
A dangler sheath hangs low enough to be seen :)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
But if I'm up a tree with a Silky, a dangler is essential, you'll quickly find out why, particularly if it's a bit crowded with branches or ivy.

I got one of the "saw pods" from the small adds on BB, I've found that great with the silky, when working on the ground or climbing.

Tend to wear my knife mostly under the right arm(I'm left handed) on some para cord, is this the baldrick style ?

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you have a gut like mine you tend to overhang your belt so that a "high and tight" sheath carry is invisible and could lead to you stabbing the rolls of blubber.
A dangler sheath hangs low enough to be seen :)

All the reasons quoted so far are good ones, but this is my main one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE