Why call it bush craft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Gary it's hard to make that claim because to me, it's a completely foreign term. I can't think of a single American outdoor writer in any century, be it book or magazine, that has used that term. Only in the past few years has it popped up, and that's mostly on the Internet. I have never even seen the term associated with Alaskans. Bush pilot, yes. Living in the bush, yes. But bushcraft? No. If you do a search on Google for bushcraft, the vast majority of hits come from Australia, NZ, and Britain and some from Aftrica. Now I admit that there's a lot I don't know about Alaska but I've sure read a lot of Alaskan hunting and fishing stories and I've studied the Inuit a bit and I've never seen the term used. So if it's a standard colloquialism in Alaska, they must be making a concerted effort to hide it from the lower 48. :)

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Gary.

The words ‘ survival’, wilderness, ancient living, and skills have always appealed to me. If someone mention’s survival, you have a dammed good idea what that means. If someone say’s bushcraft, it’s not so apparent and as HooDoo says, it’s not something he is largely aware of.

I think Bison Rog and Dominic had it right when they called it the Wilderness Gathering. Jonny Crockett is also right in calling his business the Survival School, they both do exactly what is says on the tin!

Jack.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Cheers Jack,

Maybe I should call it Bushival - but that sounds to much like the people who make five pints!

On a serious note though - I think Wilderness survival offers the best of both worlds especailly as even Mr Mears has adopted the term. And personally I really do not see the difference between one or the other - Bushcraft and survival or both leaves on the same tree to my mind.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Dear Gary.

I think you are right. As I am an outsider, it makes more sense to use a term that most people would understand. I could call myself an ancient technology constructionist, but I am a Hurdle Maker and people understand that.

Don’t get bogged down with what Ray Mears says or recognises as everyone, has the ability to inspire and educate, remember that and be different.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE