Why are canvas packs so boxy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
It occurred to me today that all commercially available canvas packs are really square and boxy, why don't they make them a more comfortable shape, Munro style maybe.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Because their customer base craves the antithesis of the modern pack both in terms of materials and styling/shape?

I spotted one outfitter on this site only today advertising a much more tube-like pack so maybe things are ‎on the move. 

K‎
‎
‎

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
'cos canvas is a pain in the situpon to sew curved.

That's true actually :) and being tabby woven if frays like blazes if the seams and bindings aren't sound. Denim has flat felled seams to try to stop the worst of the fraying, but try doing that on heavy canvas and curving it.
The caveat is kit bags, but even they often had square bases on them.

I presume there's also the point that the canvas packs generally imitate older portage packs, and the bulk they were able to carry mattered more than shaping the pack, especially if that made packing them awkward.
Basically you can fold a sheet of canvas into a very sound pack around goods, etc., and just add leather strappings to help carry it. The packs sort of copy that.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Modern sewing machinery does make it possible though, just that the curved canvas will fray if given half a chance :sigh:
Ian's really the one to comment on this, or Eric, since they both sew heavy canvas.
I avoid it like the plague nowadays. Just too much work.

I do know of canvas that was coated with a plasticy waterproofing layer, and that sewed curves ( pack for a metal frame, like the Swedish rucksacks) not too badly. The plastic layer didn't last well though and started to crumble and flake off where the canvas creased and gathered with the drawcord underneath the top flap, and then the bottom edge of the canvas wore too.
Kind of disappointing :/

M

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
There are a few commerical makers that make more curved bags, Seil Marschall does a few (half dome), and Trakke in Scotland. Notably both are made to order outfits.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Traditional sailor's ditty bags are tubular rather than square and always sewn from canvas sail cloth. However, they were hand sewn and not something that your average sailor these days carries.

I have made a few of these using traditional methods and they can be a bit tedious at times. I think the lack of curves in some bags might be due to the use of sewing machines and the need for relatively straight forward designs. Not any people hands sew canvas any more. Don't forget, even he so called 'hand made' bags that are sold in large numbers are made in an assembly line type environment to keep thecost reasonable.

As a side note of interest, when wind power ruled the waves the canvas ditty bag acted as a sort of CV for sailors. All the basic stitches to make a repair sails were used in its construction so a potential employer could see your skill at a glance. The knot work in the handles also demonstrated your skill.
My uncle has my great grandfather's to this day, although most of the canvass has now rotted.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just had a quick look….my kit bag has a square bottom on it despite it being 'tubular'.

I know that sewing the seams inside out, and covering those with tape allows me to securely stitch curves on canvas. But then, I will do double lines of stitches too, just to make sure it doesn't fray under stress.

M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Good points from Mary and Klenchblaize.

It's all the pockets. That, combined with squarish basic outlines, produces boxy looking packs. Take the pockets off and even the blockiest stuffs out to become almost barrel shaped...

FrostRiverWoodsmanPack002.jpg

Take a nice cylndrical pack; little more than a duffel bag with straps, really. Blather it in pockets and it becomes rather more squareish...

p-812-825-Summit-Expedition-Pack.png

The pack above with and without pockets...

p-805-816-825-Summit_group.png

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Beautifully clear and well illustrated :approve:
I was thinking of ones like the Frost River packs, but those are such good examples Ian :)

M

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Useless factoid...
Sailors ditty/kit bags are/were traditionally tubular as a safety feature. No sharp seams or corners swinging about in cramped conditions during rough weather.
attachment.php

Attachments

• hammock.jpg
    hammock.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 123

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Napoleonic era pack. They managed fine!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Square'ish backpacks were still very much part of the Military scene up to WWII with the German Tornister being sort of the missing link in the evolution of packs. Originally made from single piece of cow-hide with a bit of canvas however around 1943 with resources in short supply was produced completely from canvas.

attachment.php

Attachments

• torinster-1.jpg
    torinster-1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 91

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE