Why aint me wood drying?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I cleared a large fallen ash branch for a local farmer last summer, in exchange for keeping a few logs for my fire pit in the garden.

The logs are about beer can thickness, and were sawn to about 12 inches long. I have kept them in a large bucket underneath our patio table (i.e away from rain) for well over 10 months. The bark is still on the wood.

When i had a fire last night there was a fair amount of water coming out from the ends of the logs.

I thought they should have seasoned properly by now? Could it be the plastic bucket they are kept in? The wood feels very dry to touch.

A bit miffed to be honest!

cheerz

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Has the bucket filled with rain at any time?
It is often best to allow air to circulate around logs for burning then they dry from both ends rather than just one end. Can you stack them in a sheltered place while still letting the breeze get to them?

ATB

Ogri the trog

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You can dry wood from green to bow making dry (10-15%) in a few weeks, indoors.
If you are just going to burn it then remove the bark and it will speed it up no end. Also as said above its air that dries wood so just stack it up so that air can move around and cover the pile with a little roof and it should dry in no time..

MrPhil

Tenderfoot
May 26, 2009
East Coast of Kent, UK
There is a general rule of thumb for drying wood that was told to me by a master stick maker and that is " A year an inch. " So if its an inch in diameter then it will take a year, 4 inch then 4 years.

Of course if the wood is in short lengths it will be less time, as previously mentioned, remove the bark and it will speed it up. I should imagine if you split it then it will take even less.

I cleared a large fallen ash branch for a local farmer last summer, in exchange for keeping a few logs for my fire pit in the garden.

The logs are about beer can thickness, and were sawn to about 12 inches long. I have kept them in a large bucket underneath our patio table (i.e away from rain) for well over 10 months. The bark is still on the wood.

When i had a fire last night there was a fair amount of water coming out from the ends of the logs.

I thought they should have seasoned properly by now? Could it be the plastic bucket they are kept in? The wood feels very dry to touch.

A bit miffed to be honest!

cheerz

Please excuse what I say Bob if I mention things you already know, but it might save me re-posting.
Firstly the sap never leaves the wood, only the moisture. Wood for the fire should be dried outside for at least a year, two years is better. If you split the logs first they will of course dry quicker, but should still be left for at least 12 months.
Wood should be stacked so the air can get all round it, such as building a wall with the logs.
After the seasoning time, after several sunny days (In the UK!), move the wood into the wood shed and re-stack ready for use. For an outside fire the importance is not so great, so long as they are dry to the touch, but for inside fires it is very important to dry correctly. Wetness/dampness is what caused creasote in the fireplace/stove and chimney and will cause the chimney to catch fire!
Le Loup.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Keeping it in a bucket probably hasn't helped, wood need ventilation to dry . Ash is a good wood for burning. It's quite a dry wood, compared to other, it will burn quite well when it's still green, although better when dry. Good heat output and steady flames.

I wouldn't worry too much about it!

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Yes, I have a boxer dog.

I have removed the wood from the bucket now and am just keeping it stacked up under the table, its pretty much away from the elements so hopefully the air will get to it a bit better :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE