Who's up for a foraging stroll by the Medway?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Blimey! That was a close run thing. :eek:

OK. To re-cap on some stuff about sunday for those still interested.

First up, this is an informal stroll, I'm not proposing anything other than a nice walk with a bit of learning thrown in and we'll be down there either way so there's no pressure on anyone. I won't be 'leading' because I'm not a leader - but I quite happy to bore the bottom off folks by talking ad-nauseum about my pet subject. I may even let you look at some of my books, but only if you're good.

Should you decide to join us all I ask is that you remember that you're soley responsible for yourselves and all members of your party. If you choose to bring goodies* along great, if not, no matter, 'tis up to you.

Pointy things are your own resposibility too. If you do bring something like that please keep it small & be discreet - I'd rather not aquire a reputation with our local Bill for being a threat to society especially with the new legislation that's being proposed.

Multimap this postcode: ME3 9EL and pull it up as a satellite image/map overlay. This postcode puts you over the village of Hoo St Werburgh. Scroll down a bit & you'll see the river. As I said before, the area I'm proposing to walk from is at the bottom of Vicarage Lane (right hand branch) along the sea wall & right next to the Medway.

The quickest entrance to Hoo St Werburgh village is via A228 (A2 connection is Wainscot bypass). Follow A228 signposts for Hoo, up Four Elms Hill/Ratcliff Highway. Cross 1st rundabout, go straight on past Deancourt Ridge Golf Course and turn right at second roundabout into Bell's Lane. Follow this straight on all the way down to the village & a crossroads junction. Turn left into Stoke Road, and immediately on your right you'll see a car park signposted behind the small parade of shops.

There is ample room here to park safely & I will wait here from 10 am for half an hour. At 10.30 I'll squeeze as many as possible into our car and drive down to the final location. Otherwise, walking to the river is another option but obviously that adds time and distance & may mean stuff to carry. The reason for not going further down to the boatyard in convoy is that I simply can't guarantee parking at the end of the lane and I don't want to be responsible for other people's vehicles. Of course, ultimately the choice is yours. The day will be as long as you want it to be, stay as long as you like, and leave when you feel you want to.

When it comes to eating anything that you or I may have picked, no-one will be expected to try stuff unless thay want to, but if they do then the decision and responsibility for the consequences will be entirely theirs. I want people to feel confident and comfortable about the day so if at any time you're not happy about something then please say so.

*I will be bringing a couple of litres with me for washing/cooking things. If you plan to cook it'd be an idea to do the same. I'll also bring along a little butter & oil, seasonings, couscous, stock powder - stuff like that. The kinds of things you might have with you if you were planning some backpacking cookery, nothing complicated. Obviously if anyone else whats to do something like that too, that'd be great. I will also be cooking some of my finds. No-one will be either expected or obliged to join me by sampling anything that I prepare, but if you choose to do so, as I've said above please remember that it'll be at your own risk.

Sorry if this sounds like a lot of rule type stuff, but like I say, you want to be safe and I want you to be safe, so it's necessary.

Hoping to see some of you on sunday. :)

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Never mind switch, there'll definitely be a next time.

Even in high summer there's always something to look out for. I'm invariably out spotting likely places ready for the autumn harvests anyway, so at the risk of repeating myself if any of you ever want to get out on a wander that has a purpose, just let me know.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Don't worry Simon, there'll be plenty of other chances. :)

All I can do is thank Mad Mike and Featherstick for joining us on what turned out to be really pleasureable day. I haven't had so much fun in ages & it's nice to be with folks who are so interested in wild food which made the prepping & cooking of it all the more enjoyable for me.

(And it was nice to have finally opened our daughter's eyes to the joys of trout and salmon!)

Looking forward to the next foray.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
We had trout stuffed with fennel, mint and marjoram cooked in paper, marsh samphire in butter sauce, butter poached salmon cooked with a mix of fat hen & halbard leaved orache and served with little jersey royals, mixed fungi noodles* with chicken, and finally a seabeet and mushroom pie served with and wild leaf salad (Chickweed, wall rocket, halbard leaved orache, willowherb, hoary cress, sea beet, sea purslane, samphire, sow thistle (prickly and smooth), sorrel, wood sorrel, dandelion, garlic mustard, chive flowers and marigold petals).

That's without my experimental 'copper beech' beech leaf noyau and a lovely elderflower cordial (kindly supplied by featherstick), dried wilding apple pieces and hazel nuts and the two kinds of pickled samphire (marsh and rock).

Loved every minute of it and didn't have any time to take a single picture!

*Dried foraged fungi mix of: Winter chanterelle, Morel, Oyster Mushrooms, Jersey Cow bolete, Birch bolete and a little Shaggy Parasol.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
We had trout stuffed with fennel, mint and marjoram cooked in paper, marsh samphire in butter sauce, butter poached salmon cooked with a mix of fat hen & halbard leaved orache and served with little jersey royals, mixed fungi noodles* with chicken, and finally a seabeet and mushroom pie served with and wild leaf salad (Chickweed, wall rocket, halbard leaved orache, willowherb, hoary cress, sea beet, sea purslane, samphire, sow thistle (prickly and smooth), sorrel, wood sorrel, dandelion, garlic mustard, chive flowers and marigold petals).

That's without my experimental 'copper beech' beech leaf noyau and a lovely elderflower cordial (kindly supplied by featherstick), dried wilding apple pieces and hazel nuts and the two kinds of pickled samphire (marsh and rock).

*Dried foraged fungi mix of: Winter chanterelle, Morel, Oyster Mushrooms, Jersey Cow bolete, Birch bolete and a little Shaggy Parasol.

Crikey mate, you all did well... Nice one..
Janie says hello, btw..

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Sounds good no? :D

Next time we get together I'll cook you both a foraged feast. I should be coming down to Cornwall sometime in July to see friends, maybe we can hook up and go wandering.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
I got to the car park by the water's edge at 09:50 and waited right by the path that leads you onto the entrance to the forest and the beach until 11am but.....no one showed :(
No message or call on mobile either- disappointing - so I went round on my own-
Here are a few pics

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Aww Bert, I said right hand branch of Vicarge Lane, and rather stupidly I was looking at the map from the river end so yes, it was actually the left hand one you needed as you come down the lane. Mike & I met up at the car park in the village just after 10 and caught up with Featherstick down by the river around 10.30. I would have called when you didn't show but I don't own a mobile I'm afraid!

Doh..... It's entirely my fault. How red is my face. :eek:

I'm really sorry about that. You were in fact probably less than a mile from where we were, but on the wrong side of the caravan park. Next time I do anything similar I'll mark the map prominently to show exact location I'm talking about so that there is no confusion. I'm so sorry if you felt you had a wasted journey.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
As you've probably gathered, I'm not exactly a tecchie kind of person. I did have a mobile once for a full two years and only used it about as many times. In the end it got so bad I even forgot the number so I ditched it.

I don't even wear a watch.

Nice pics, do you know what the litle furry beastie was?

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East

...it was a lovely, lovely day. I've rarely eaten so much interesting, generously prepared and shared food on one occasion before. The marsh samphire was a wonderful experience - thank you COTW!

It was great fun talking plants and discovering new foods, and looking at such a small area in such detail. I had a lovely time, and Lena was quite sick that she couldn't come.

Nice food and nice company. A really great day. Many many thanks.

Oscar

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
never mind- some other day! :)
I could have done without lugging all the pots and pans and 8 litres of water!
Now to get through all that home made bannock mix - enough to keep me fed for a week!
The furry thing was a field mouse- and , no, I didn't eat it!:lmao:
:ban:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE