Whos making xmas pressies this year instead of buying?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
We are making nearly all ours this year (mainly cause skint)

Im doing spoons and other kitchen utensils, bird boxes and jewlery boxes out of scrap wood. Might knock up a few leather goods.

The lady of the house has been a tad more creative and started knitting various items, patchwork lady bags, and doing paintings again.

I think its pretty cool, she hasn't painted for 10 years!

What you folks up to?

Addo

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stunning picture - I'd be delighted tor eceive a gift with so much talent expended.

We make a lot of presents - sweets, pickles, chutneys, wine and mead, cakes and puddings etc.

Nothing that requires the talent shown here though!

Red

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Mmmm getting hungry. We made mincemeat this year and a Christmas cake is in storage.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I rehandled a Kitchen carving knife and butchers steel and made a block to hold them for my Aunties Xmas prezzie. There is some Sloe Gin and Blackberry Vodka to bottle for folks and I may yet get round to making some wooden decorations....

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I'm still having problems understanding this ... buy ... concept.

I always make things - usually of iron/steel. Various styles of candle holders tend to be the favorites.

Plus going out to buy things can be deadly! The ... mob ... waiting to get in to the "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving special sales event at a New York walmart store trampled to death the 34 year old guy who opened the front doors! They even tried to walk right over the police and rescue units to get in to those "great deals". People kept complaining about having waited outside in the dark for hours to get there for the special sales! It was estimated that there were around 2000 people waiting for the 4 or 5 A.M. opening of the doors. So they ... trampled a guy to death, and injured several others in their ... frenzy! The cops said they were reviewing the security video to see about charging people for this death.

Media/shopping hype gotten out of control!

I try to not even go into town between Thanksgiving Day and New Year's Day. Too many CRAZY people out-n-about!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
After my success at making my knife I thought I'd make a little 'un for my missus, handy in the handbag sorta thing but the mood she's in lately I'm not sure I'd feel safe if she had one!! Still, if I make one and we don't make it to christmas, all the more for me!

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
Looks like you've been very busy addo!

Red, my favourite christmas presents are usually of the food variety (when received), no use at making them though.

I too am making most of the presents I'll give, because I'm also pennyless.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've not bought a present for years, everybody gets something made by me. It does mean that whatever my latest thing is, people will end up with an example of it :D

This year I've been asked for spoons, hanging basket bracket, wooden toys and a couple of knitted things (I don't knit so SWMBO is doing those)

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I've not bought a present for years, everybody gets something made by me. It does mean that whatever my latest thing is, people will end up with an example of it :D

This year I've been asked for spoons, hanging basket bracket, wooden toys and a couple of knitted things (I don't knit so SWMBO is doing those)

Great stuff, were getting quite into it and it all seems a lot more christmasy too. Definatly going to be doing it for next year.

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I am pretty skint this year so will be making spoons for my friends, maybe some other things from wood too, pity im getting my lathe FOR christmas and not before, i could have had a go at some bowls and plates.

DarbyFett

Sep 30, 2008
Texas
I'm still having problems understanding this ... buy ... concept.

I always make things - usually of iron/steel. Various styles of candle holders tend to be the favorites.

Plus going out to buy things can be deadly! The ... mob ... waiting to get in to the "Black Friday" after Thanksgiving special sales event at a New York walmart store trampled to death the 34 year old guy who opened the front doors! They even tried to walk right over the police and rescue units to get in to those "great deals". People kept complaining about having waited outside in the dark for hours to get there for the special sales! It was estimated that there were around 2000 people waiting for the 4 or 5 A.M. opening of the doors. So they ... trampled a guy to death, and injured several others in their ... frenzy! The cops said they were reviewing the security video to see about charging people for this death.

Media/shopping hype gotten out of control!

I try to not even go into town between Thanksgiving Day and New Year's Day. Too many CRAZY people out-n-about!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

That saddens me to no end. A man died because people wanted to save some money on a huge television, or to get their kids an xbox so they will spend even less time outside.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Also a caution on opening the door to a shopping mob.

I dont like shopping much either.

Today I made;

Mincemeat (x8)
marmalade (x5)
st clemens marmalade (x2)
wild boar sauce (x2)
pickled onions. (x2)

alls either for pressies, or for my Father and wife to give.

Tommorrow will be apple chutney.

I've been making baskets for everybody! Wether they like it or not! :rolleyes:

basketweek3kn2.jpg

The two baskets with the thick sticks poking out are waiting for handles! It's not some kind of weirdy design feature!

basketweek4bq1.jpg

I love that painting by the way!! Fantastic! I can't believe, with a skill like that, she hasn't been painting for so long.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Not much this year.
A purse for my mum to a design that she's been using for years. Every time she wears one out I dismantle it and use it as a template for the next.

....and the inevitable arrows:rolleyes: but they're not really christmas pressies. I'm the one with the fletching jig so I make them up all year round. Got a dozen made up for each of my folks and one of my pals.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great baskets Hen, thats something we want to try one day
K is starting another painting for her brother of a city scape in America. She did applied arts which kind of doesn't bother with painting so its something she always wanted to do like her friends. Thanks for the kind coments.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE