Whopper of a tree fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Found this monster fungus a few days back on a near dead Quercus rubra (red oak). Initially I thought it was Formes fomentarius (horse’s hoof) but I’ve never read about it growing on red oak or seen pictures of one so large, so think it is probably a type of Ganoderma - anyone know for sure?

Many thanks!

shroom004.jpg

shroom001.jpg

shroom003.jpg

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
That's where your'e wrong.

I know for sure that just beneath the trama layer lies the raw materials for amadou in both these varieties of fungus, which is what I'll be using it for.

And it was a single fruiting body on a tree with multiple fruiting bodies so if you are somehow concerned that the fungus which is killing the tree is no longer present then you're wrong on that count also.

Littlesthobo

May 16, 2009
london
you did not know what is was or if it was any use, but you removed it anyway, well done that man, next time take a photo eh.

What are you on about? He didn't say he didn't know what they can be used for, he just wanted clarification on which one it was, and he's quite right that BOTH those fungi can be used for amadou, although I believe it's the trama layer itself that's used for amadou which is beneath the cuticle... but regardless.

You're out of order to suggest he removed it just to post a photo of it on a bushcraft forum when his post, if read properly, gives no suggestion that this is the case whatsoever. And Pete's comment about the apple is spot on too, if I posted a picture of an apple on here which I planned to eat but wanted to know the variety, would I get a good ticking off as well?

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Wow!Thats very impressive.Plenty of tinder in that monster!

On another note,We cant be too precious about weather it was right or wrong to pick it...I wonder how many of us have cut wood for sticks and spoons..picked wild flowers...trod on an insect?

If i was lucky enough to find one id take a pic in situ and try and resist putting it in my bag!Judging by your photo you have thing for firelighting,tinder ect!Good on ya!Want to share some?:naughty:

You wait til Rappleby sees this....

adderrustler

Aug 27, 2007
bridgewater
That's where your'e wrong.

I know for sure that just beneath the trama layer lies the raw materials for amadou in both these varieties of fungus, which is what I'll be using it for.

And it was a single fruiting body on a tree with multiple fruiting bodies so if you are somehow concerned that the fungus which is killing the tree is no longer present then you're wrong on that count also.
you said that the tree was dead anyway, but my point is why remove somthing that big you cant possibly need it all, the same sort of blind arrogance was shown by fishermen 20 odd years ago and look at fish stocks now, i see a lot of people helping themselves to all sorts nowadays since bushcraft has become commercial, my point is YOU DID NOT SEEM TO KNOW FOR SURE WHAT IT WAS, JUDGING BY YOUR POST, YOU GAVE THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU HAD REMOVED IT TO FIND OUT.
thats what i see alot ( thats why we are losing wild mushrooms) having a few skills does not give you the right to take what you want when you want, as for the rest of you i would imagine by your obvious sensitivity that you only go out when the weather is nice or accomodating still i know i am right end off

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
Sam I agree with your initial thought and believe it to be Horses Hoof fungus too. I can't say I've ever seen them that size ever though!.. As for removing it.. I can see judging by your King Alfred Cakes in the photo you have obvious plans for it and will provide once dried out loads of great tinder. I don't see the problem in removing it at all. It's not like you are going out farming the stuff. It's one piece of fungus!.... lol Nice find btw

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
you said that the tree was dead anyway, but my point is why remove somthing that big you cant possibly need it all, the same sort of blind arrogance was shown by fishermen 20 odd years ago and look at fish stocks now, i see a lot of people helping themselves to all sorts nowadays since bushcraft has become commercial, my point is YOU DID NOT SEEM TO KNOW FOR SURE WHAT IT WAS, JUDGING BY YOUR POST, YOU GAVE THE IMPRESSION THAT YOU HAD REMOVED IT TO FIND OUT.
thats what i see alot ( thats why we are losing wild mushrooms) having a few skills does not give you the right to take what you want when you want, as for the rest of you i would imagine by your obvious sensitivity that you only go out when the weather is nice or accomodating still i know i am right end off

Honestly, how rude. The fella obviously knows his stuff as can be seen from the stuff jammed in the background (pyro-man!!!). These replies are not useful and unfriendly, There are better ways of addressing your feelings than all out sarcastic attacks like these.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire

I inspect tree decay fungi for a living, and you are talking a load of rubbish. Give it a rest. The fungus cannot be killed by removing the fruiting body. F Sam said that other bodies were present, and even if all were removed more would appear. Also millons of spores are around to repopulate the tree. This is all common knowledge. Im sure F sam knew what he was doing and obviously doesnt need to get anymore anyway!

BTW it looks like Fomes fomentarius, so plenty of trauma layer to prep.
If the top when burnt doenst go sticky, its certain to be fomes.

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
Thanks for all the helpful comments, if any of you are coming to the Bushmoot than you can have a look at this baby as I'll be bringing it along with me (after which time I'll be turned it into amadou).

P.S. Addo, I'm a tree surgeon too!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Thanks for all the helpful comments, if any of you are coming to the Bushmoot than you can have a look at this baby as I'll be bringing it along with me (after which time I'll be turned it into amadou).

P.S. Addo, I'm a tree surgeon too!

Cool, nice to see it on display, to even furthur its use.

Best job in the world eh, getting paid to climb trees and play with big boys toys!
I miss climbing and larking about in a team, as I dont do as much now with inspection work. Still get to do some good jobs though. Cu at the moot if I get a pass out.:)

fireman sam

Jan 26, 2009
the woods
At the risk of sounding a little rude, it looks like a large elephant has done his business on your chair. You might want to get that cleaned up!

;-)

Mungo

LOL. My girlfriend would definitely agree with you there, she's not overly keen on all the bushcraft paraphernalia that I end up bringing back to our flat, which, as a consequence of us having a flatshare with other people, has to reside in our bedroom!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The biggest Fomes that I've ever cut apart was about 40cms across, took for ever to get the *skin* off, but what an amount of amadou it yielded :cool: :D

That's an elephant toenail never mind the De'il's, that one :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE