whoopie slings... anyone used them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Back on the whoopie thing, I've got a spare length of amsteel which I took out of my Blackbird suspension, if you want to have a mess around with the splicing thing you're welcome to have a bit. I think they're only about 7 or 8ft in length so no good for full on whoopie slings for hanging your hammock though.

aw thanks mate, thats a really nice offer. im going to experiment on some paracord before i going ruining more expensive materials. but i appreciate the offer immensely.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The continuous loops are clever too. I had a couple of 14" ones on the ends of my hammock and the bury was only about 4", scary but strong stuff.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
im going to stick with my garda hitch but i think being able to make whoopie slings from paracord will actually have a wealth of benefits and id like to know how to do it for my next exped.

Mar 2, 2010
Dumfries & Galloway
I swapped the suspension on my HH for whoopie slings, I got them from Opie on the Hammock Forum site, and it's one of the best hammock moves I've made since buying an Unsponsored underquilt :) I've had some great nights hanging with no problems at all, I use the tree huggers that came with the HH with a climbing grade carabiner and just hook the slings on that, or if it's a huge fat tree, some hammock tape instead of the huggers.

Gailainne

Life Member
im going to stick with my garda hitch but i think being able to make whoopie slings from paracord will actually have a wealth of benefits and id like to know how to do it for my next exped.

I don't think paracord will work, it has a core, and even if you remove it, I don't think the sheath weave will open up enough for you to splice it, may be wrong, rare but it has happened :eek:

The amsteel is a hollow core 8 or 12 strand weave, makes it easy to splice.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
cant remember the name exactly, its in the credits of the video i made but im too lazy to watch it. sorry. peak.... peak something... or something from the peak district.... haha sorry.... ill look it up later

Thanks, I ordered some descender rings from that site and they arrived today. Much lighter than the karabiners and 10X lighter than the rings I had made, literally! I shall play, I mean experiment tomorrow.
Alan

Smat

Aug 10, 2010
East Sussex
trekkingnut, do you think that that garda hitch system would work on a DD hammock?

I'm thinking that the stock hanging webbing on the DD would need to be changed out for something else, though I wouldn't know what for exactly (safe diameter for the nylon of the hammock etc), nor how would be the best way to attach it (knots etc, still very new to this).

Do you know of anyone who has used this on a DD hammock ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Whoopie slings and continuos loops are good in the DD.
The channel is plenty strong enough to take the cord-I'm 100kg's and I'm hanging on 2mm dyneema. Just thread the whoopie sling through the channel and pass the spliced loop over the adjustable loop. I use full continuous loops because it lowers the minimum distance you need between trees, and the cord cant get pulled back through the channel if using it as a bivy.
I attach the suspension cord to my tree straps (webbing with loops stitched at both ends) with a loop shackle , which takes out needing to tie or undo knots and because no knots are used, the line strength is not derated by much at all.

Gailainne

Life Member
trekkingnut, do you think that that garda hitch system would work on a DD hammock?

I'm thinking that the stock hanging webbing on the DD would need to be changed out for something else, though I wouldn't know what for exactly (safe diameter for the nylon of the hammock etc), nor how would be the best way to attach it (knots etc, still very new to this).

Do you know of anyone who has used this on a DD hammock ?

I use static rope in place of the webbing on my DD, 19mm webbing loop at each end(tree huggers) around the trees, I put a marlin hitch in the free end, and a small continuous loop with 2 descender rings prussiked to it behind the knot, the static rope is garda hitched thru them. Very simple, very quick, easy to change the lengths to get your hammock centred.

BTW flat ropes don't so well with the Garda, aka Amsteel, you need to put in a slippery hitch to stop the amsteel slipping.

Last edited:

sensi5446

Forager
Jun 15, 2009
Manchester
I use whoopie slings with my DD hammock and there great, makes my set up a lot easier/quicker to put up. I also use a structural ridge line which helps me get a good sag, all bought from Kris at whoopieslings.com The price was good and customer service was excellent, quick response to emails, postage was about £4 and came in five days. deffently recommend him :)

Smat

Aug 10, 2010
East Sussex
Thanks for the info, people, appreciated. Think I got it sorted......(though I'm having a hard time picturing Gailainne's set-up...but not to worry).

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
i have no idea to be honest with you, sorry for the late reply, been in brecon for a few days (thigh deep in 'king bog grrrr)

i have never tried whoopie slings, its only something ive recently started to look at.

whoever said parachord wouldnt work, they were right, i couldnt get the sheath to open up enough to get the other end to pass back through, pain in the ****.

sorry, your question was actually about the garda hitch, ive never tried that on a dd hammock and dont own one either so couldnt tell you to be honest. the other guys look like they have given a fairly comprehensive answer so ill go with whatever they have said to be honest!

rubbish response from me but im tired and grumpy.

Gailainne

Life Member
Thanks for the info, people, appreciated. Think I got it sorted......(though I'm having a hard time picturing Gailainne's set-up...but not to worry).

I'm out this weekend, so if I remember I'll post a few shots to show you my set-up, to be fair this is a cobbled together system for me, I'm in the process of remaking a bridge hammock (first version failed, riiiip "oh ****" dumped on the ground :eek:, wasn't the suspension system, the mat'l of the hammock failed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've stood next to Gailainne when he was explaining a similar setup at Achray last year, most of it went straight over my head then but I now I think I've got the jist of it.

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
what thickness is the cord in the video for the garda hitch? very interested in trying that system out but i don't want to buy the wrong stuff
cheers
matt

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I've just started using whoopie slings. Before that I was using cinch buckles with dutch clips. I think the latter may be worth the weight in ease of setup... We'll see what I come back to!

Gailainne

Life Member
I'm out this weekend, so if I remember I'll post a few shots to show you my set-up, to be fair this is a cobbled together system for me, I'm in the process of remaking a bridge hammock (first version failed, riiiip "oh ****" dumped on the ground :eek:, wasn't the suspension system, the mat'l of the hammock failed.

As promised, a few photos of my set up;
The tree huggers, I use a biner for convenience
CIMG0009.jpg

The Marlin hitch, showing the light wood dowel
CIMG0010.jpg

Close in detail
CIMG0011.jpg

The loop and SMC rings
CIMG0012.jpg

The rings showing the rope Garda hitched thru them
CIMG0013.jpg

I hope there enough info there, if not drop me a line and I'll see if I can fill in any missing detail.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE