whoopie slings... anyone used them?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have been looking at their site, http://whoopieslings.com/, that looks interesting. The suspension system is one I have not seen before, but looks doable, although I am not sure I would want to sleep in a hammock held up by a toggle... I would stick with a decent mountaineering crab for that part. They also do cammo webbing tape, that appeals to me

Have you looked at the SlapStrap system? I picked up a pair on here a while back & have been very happy with them, as they are so quick to use. I used to use knots but ended up on the floor a few times when they slipped, so the slap straps suit me better.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I have been looking at their site, http://whoopieslings.com/, that looks interesting. The suspension system is one I have not seen before, but looks doable, although I am not sure I would want to sleep in a hammock held up by a toggle... I would stick with a decent mountaineering crab for that part. They also do cammo webbing tape, that appeals to me

Have you looked at the SlapStrap system? I picked up a pair on here a while back & have been very happy with them, as they are so quick to use. I used to use knots but ended up on the floor a few times when they slipped, so the slap straps suit me better.

toggle system is pretty standard over on hammock forums mate, most members use it all the time and wouldnt do it any other way. i use the garda hitch as demoed on my videos both on here and hammock forums. its my favorite way of hammocking and wouldnt switch to whoopie slings, however, for setting up my tarp without my hh i was looking at whoopie slings, prob just going to sit down and make them this evening, looks easy enough.

ill let you know how it goes, if its a success i can try and make you some as well.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Fair Do's. I have been reading their site & watching their videos on the train home. There is more to this than meets the eye & I will have to get myself enlightened more on the dark arts of setting a hammock, so will have to look on the hammock forums some more. I like the idea of the load bearing ridge line & the ability to trim the hammock while you are in it. You learn something new every day on this forum...

Update: Thanks for the offer as well.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

The krabs can be replaced with dyneema Loop shackles (AKA Nacrabiners on HF) -this saves plenty of weight and money.

I use looped straps too, much better to use than tying webbing.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Fair Do's. I have been reading their site & watching their videos on the train home. There is more to this than meets the eye & I will have to get myself enlightened more on the dark arts of setting a hammock, so will have to look on the hammock forums some more. I like the idea of the load bearing ridge line & the ability to trim the hammock while you are in it. You learn something new every day on this forum...

Update: Thanks for the offer as well.

o def join hammock forums for hammock stuff, you will learn mountains. im a regular contributor and love it!!! this site isnt a hammock site, its a bushcraft site and is fantastic at what it is but the hammock information is limited. which is fair enough i guess......

trim the hammock while you are in it? interesting... where did you read that?

havent got any spare paracord to test it out on so will have to wait till mid next week im afraid for the results! never mind eh! soon soon!

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I just noticed you were thinking of using them for rigging the tarp, Trekking nut. Have a look at the nacra-prussics. Whoopie slings are overkill for a tarp IMO- The nacra prussics are a way of getting a constantly variable no knot very quick rig system for a tarp, without doubling up the lengths of braid.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I just noticed you were thinking of using them for rigging the tarp, Trekking nut. Have a look at the nacra-prussics. Whoopie slings are overkill for a tarp IMO- The nacra prussics are a way of getting a constantly variable no knot very quick rig system for a tarp, without doubling up the lengths of braid.

cant seem to find a reference with that, link please.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
sorry, found it... para cord prussik will acheive the same thing... pretty much what i do now anyway... the whoopie slings are just an experiment and me branching out, not something i actually intend to use long term. i know it sounds stupid. just the way it is.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I have been looking into this & there is a whole new world of hammocking that I need to find out more about. I will go join the hammock forums & will no doubt have bought a new hammock system soon... I may have misread the self adjustment thing but will reread the page again tomorrow.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I switched the suspension on my Blackbird to whoopies a few months ago, I got mine from Paul Gibson at Arrowhead though. I ended up getting loads of bits from him so postage wasn't too harsh overall.
I use them with a 4ft tree strap and a marlin spike toggle.

There are a few guys on here who've bought some amsteel and made there own whoopies and loops etc.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
sorry, found it... para cord prussik will acheive the same thing... pretty much what i do now anyway... the whoopie slings are just an experiment and me branching out, not something i actually intend to use long term. i know it sounds stupid. just the way it is.

Not stupid at all, TK. :)

I avoided the whoopie slings for ages-I thought they were of limited benefit until I put some on my hammock. They make hanging the hammock so much easier and there is now zero stretch in my system.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
I think the adjustment reference from the hammock is in one of Shugs' videos. I'll check and post a link if I remember rightly. I use the garda hitch too to hang my hammock using two carabiners at each end. I'm looking for a source of suitable rings in the UK that can carry the loading. Any suggestions?
Alan

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
I think the adjustment reference from the hammock is in one of Shugs' videos. I'll check and post a link if I remember rightly. I use the garda hitch too to hang my hammock using two carabiners at each end. I'm looking for a source of suitable rings in the UK that can carry the loading. Any suggestions?
Alan

cant remember the name exactly, its in the credits of the video i made but im too lazy to watch it. sorry. peak.... peak something... or something from the peak district.... haha sorry.... ill look it up later

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Alan

You can pick them up in the hardware section at B&Q for a couple of quid. They need a bit of work with a file and some wet and dry but they're good and strong.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
You can pick them up in the hardware section at B&Q for a couple of quid. They need a bit of work with a file and some wet and dry but they're good and strong.

i would not use those at all. for several reasons, they arent climbing grade rings, therefore they dont have a particularly high breaking limit. you really need to be looking at your body weight as 1/6th of the breaking limit because of the way the hammock applies strain on the rings.

secondly, they arent very thick or anywhere near as smooth as proper rappel rings, this can cause massive amounts of friction on the rope when you pull it and with the stock hennessy hammock chord, it will end up ripping the outer sheath. it will also damage your carabiner, negligible but still a point. it is better that they are fat so that they will sit side by side and snug with the carabiner as opposed to being able to slide around as you move in and out of the hammock, this again causes friction.

thirdly, the fatter the surface area of the rings, the more rope will be gripped, this means that not only will it be less likely to slip but it will also spread the damaging pressure across a greater area of rope and therefore minimize the chance of your sheath being cut.

sorry to sound so rude about it all (just reread it) but if you go on hammock forums, people who use either chord that is too thin, regardless of breaking strain or rappel rings that are too thin for the garda hitch specifically end up on their back, on the ground, with a broken hammock and i hate to see that happen!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Or you could buy some from Arrowhead Equiipment, got some nice shiney snot green ones in my last parcel.

The one's from B&Q are solid steel and plenty strong enough by the way, I know a couple of 20+ stone chaps still using them.

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
ok, they may be strong enough and im glad no one has got hurt. the surface area issue really does bother me though. theres been at least three people posted this week on HF about their stock chord being ripped open and rendered useless.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Back on the whoopie thing, I've got a spare length of amsteel which I took out of my Blackbird suspension, if you want to have a mess around with the splicing thing you're welcome to have a bit. I think they're only about 7 or 8ft in length so no good for full on whoopie slings for hanging your hammock though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE