Whole wheat, where to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Can anyone point me towards an online source of whole wheat that is suitable for human consumption?

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'd get out of the city and start asking for wheat farmers. YOu might as well directly pay the hand that feeds you.
Cut out all the middle fluff.

What is it that you want to use it for? Wheats, genetically, are in three groups with different cooking/baking characteristics.
I don't care for the primitive Group I wheats, as trendy as they may be.
I use Group II wheats, durum in particular as a high gluten pasta flour = the best in the world.
I use Group III wheats with modest gluten content for breads and other baking.
I don't need low gluten cake flours, I refuse to try "self-raising" flours = that's what yeast is for.

I have light & dark rye flours, corn flour (which is NOT corn starch), rice flours and quinoa.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Dove farms stove is good quality. That said I pay around £7 a sack for whole wheat from the local feed mill. I can get it for around a fiver or less from the grower but its dusty and dirty straight out of the combine so, for a couple of quid, I have the mill clean and bag it for me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're only wanting enough to try it out, away to Sainsbury's. They sell Merchant Gourmet stuff in half and kilo bags.

If you're putting together a bigger order of stuff though, it's worth buying it from folks like these, when over £30 has free p&p.

https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/organic-wheat-grain-1kg.html?gclid=CK3srdPp58gCFUPnwgod3d8P8A

I agree with BR on getting it cleaned up of most of the dust and debris from the Mill. It's worth the extra couple of quid not to have to clean it up yourself. Been there, done that, takes hours, even with a useful wind and a decent huge sieve, not doing it again.

Most UK grown wheat isn't hard/hard wheat.
http://www.farm-direct.co.uk/farming/stockcrop/wheat/wheatcurr.html

M

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Can you learn if your suppliers know what they are selling? ( My Post #3) Group III bread wheat species (5?) became so popular 5,000 years ago for exactly that reason: bread. Along with the gluten level, we got increased stem strength (less wind lodging) and much easier threshing.

I'll be off to the store this AM to buy some all-purpose flour: good for bready things and satisfactory for pasta when doped up with some Group II durum semolina. $10.00/10kg bag. At this morning's exchange rate, that would be almost exactly 5 pounds sterling.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
If your "feed mills" are anything like ours, be careful.
When a Canadian grain farmer takes a load of wheat to sell, the top dollar goes to clean grain for human consumption.
If the elevator operator (aka front-line buyer) finds so much as a single rat turd in a truckload, the load is declared
Grades #4 Feed and off to the feed mill it goes. The price difference is so great that the load is essentially worthless.
I can't do pigeon poo in my bread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE