Who needs a telly....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
When you can watch this from the back window :D

182_8281.jpg

182_8282.jpg

182_8283.jpg

182_8285.jpg

182_8286.jpg

Just spotted lunch...

182_8295.jpg

...get into position..

182_8296.jpg

ready... Steady.....

182_8297.jpg

GO !!

182_8298.jpg

182_8299.jpg

The next shot was just a blurry patch of grass :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh she is gorgeous :)

Never got a good sequence of a female - got some nice male shots a while back!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
what bird is that then??

Kestrel - IIRC it's the only hawk that hovers ?
Females are darker in colouring - The males have lighter (almost grey) head and tail.

Oh she is gorgeous :)

Never got a good sequence of a female - got some nice male shots a while back!
That was her 3rd dive - the shots of the first 2 where just silhouettes until I knocked the exposure compensation up by 2 stops to compensate for the light background.

Think I need to upgrade to a camera with a better frame rate though :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Interestingly buzzards have been learning to hover lately. There was a great article on it a while back.

For bushcraftbob - this is a male - you can see the grey / brown colouring rather than the plain brown of the female

Kestrel by British Red, on Flickr

Kestrel3 by British Red, on Flickr

Red

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I had a nice kestral hove above my car sunroof while stuck at a road junction for 10 minutes coming off the M6 near me. It was a very hot day and it slowly hovered over the grass verge then it kind of let itself hover completely overhead my sunroof. It was seriously looking into my car. I know I was putting a crook in my neck trying to look straight up at it. Eye to eye. I wathced it hovering for most of the time I was stopped in the jam. I have also seen a kestral all the way along that motorway slip road and to the left after that junction. It was on the road off the junction that I once saw a kestral covering its prey while it was eating. I saw it looking up and around then reaching under its wings and I heard a ripping noise and it looked up again to check it was still safe. It is nice to see them covering their prey. I suppose it is because they are hiding their catch or is there another reason?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE