who is in the survivaltin ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
One thing always used to make us wonder as kids. We carried survival tins (old tobacco tins) being told you could use the tin for boiling water in, but always found that by the time the water was boiling there wasn't enough to do anything with anyway.

I know now you would have to cover it and heat up really quickly but anyone else ever found that?

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
I don't usually carry one, because i have some items in my pack, but when going hiking in the ardennes i carry one on my belt, in a seperate pouch ,for me this is an old tobacco tin, about double the size of an altoids tin.
In there i have a magnesium fire striker, wire saw, pocketknife, needle and treath ,small compass, copper wire, satchel of salt, few cottonballs with vaseline, few sinkers, few small hooks and fishing line, iron wire, freshnel lens.
Canteen and metal cup also on my belt, so i am able to cook some fresh water, when needed, nothing in my tin that need replacement or looking after like iodine tablets.
I have some iodine in my pack for first aid en purification.
In an other pouch on my belt i carry a folded survival blanket en one army field dressing and a bic lighter this is enough for me should i lose my pack at a river crossing or a mouintain slope.
But again i carry this only in huge areas where no help is expected on short notice.

Last edited:

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
I wonder of any of you guys keep a survival tin in your pocket, and if you do, what did you find was actually worth carrying ?.

I carry one. Nothing in it is ever used.....

Let me clarify that. Everything in it has a duplicate somewhere in my pack or pockets, which get used. For example, in the tin is a spare firesteel and striker, but the one I use is in my pocket.

That way, the contents of the tin are reserved for emergencies. In addition, I keep the tin in a pouch on my belt (or in a trouser pocket). That way, if I get parted with my pack or top coat then the tin is always with me.

Rod

Last edited:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I used to have an RAF survival tin and it had a loop of wire which was used to hold the tin over a flame for boiling water. The tin was full of glucose sweets which could be dissolved in the warm water to give an energy boosting drink.

The question I would ask though is has anyone ever used a survival tin for real in the UK? I never carry one on the basis that most of the stuff I might need on a wilderness trip should be in my rucksack anyway.:)

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
I have to admid, never used mine also, but then again you,ll never know what is on your path out there, never carry a cell phone also, it has about the same weight, but then i go for the tin, i dead celphone ,or one that is out of range does not help me in any way.

Last edited:

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
I have raided one a few times in the past, but then that wasn't in dire circumstances, just as a get you by.

I agree about the mobile phone, useless if its out of range, but then can be a lifesaver the other 90% of the time!

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Its not a tin, more a small fishing fly box, I've never used it in a survivla situation, its those items that I'd have loose in pockets that I'd prefer to have in one place.
Its got a fair few drugs in it, paracetemol, migralive, immodium, piriton, all a couple of doses worth,. Needle and thread, spare button, small blade, earplugs, matches, length of wire and some plasters and steristrips. all been used and replenished over the last couple of years, usually just away from home, not always in the hills etc.
Theres also a button compass, but I've never had occasion to use it. The fishing line and hook was used in Islay to while away an hour or so by my youngest, but with no result, so we bought some sweets.

I've never been in a survival situation, but it's been useful to have, and I'd like to think it'd be of some small use to me if I was in difficulties.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
I used to, but soon ditched it as my pack has everything in that I need. I figure if times get bad then he last thing I am going to be doing is fishing wih a hobo line in England (in reality). Yes there maybe a chance of getting separated from my pack, but jst like the way a soldier doesnt lose sight of his gun- I don't lose sight of my pack. But if this were to happen, I have a key chain wih an SAK, whistle, firesteel, mini silva compass and microlight on it. In my pack I have a load of puritabs. After a bad experience in the lakes once the one thing I will always carry now is a couple of bbq fire lighters in my pack.

ghillieman

Dec 21, 2009
netherlands
i agree , i never used a fishing line also , maybe a twist of the mind ,i don't know, but i like to think, it is not really a survival tin but more or less a back up for if things go wrong, why not take only a cell phone to the barren lands and order a pizza ??.

Omegarod

Forager
Dec 3, 2009
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
There's a certain irony in the cellphone for me. Here in the Forest of Dean there are so many places without a signal that its almost useless..... and yet in Kenya, even in the deep rainforest or out in the bush in the Masai Mara there's always a good signal. Go figure! :rolleyes: Oh yes, and out there I carry a little solar charger (on the strap of my pack) for the phone which is brilliant.

Rod

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
There's a certain irony in the cellphone for me. Here in the Forest of Dean there are so many places without a signal that its almost useless..... and yet in Kenya, even in the deep rainforest or out in the bush in the Masai Mara there's always a good signal. Go figure! :rolleyes: Oh yes, and out there I carry a little solar charger (on the strap of my pack) for the phone which is brilliant.

Rod

Know what you mean. A few years ago I could get a good signal in the middle of the Cairngorms but not on the main street of a town near where I live!:lmao:

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
The fishing line and hook was used in Islay to while away an hour or so by my youngest, but with no result, so we bought some sweets.

I like that!

I would have thought that chocolate, a fire lighting kit, a couple of quid, a space blanket, small FAK and a mobile phone would cover most things in mainland UK - unless you are pushing on into the highlands or somewhere really quite remote.

Cheers,
Steve

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Off thread but very useful to know. Dialling 112 on a mobile phone allows emergency services to immediately triangulate your position. We used it recently during a tree surgery accident and the helicopter was able to get to us very quickly.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
hi I don´t use them becouse is unconfortablein my pocket and don´t want to carry a beltpouch.
I carry a lanyard with SAK+capsule/match case

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE