who has a mears knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
does anyone on here have a woodlore knife ?

if so are they really worth £275.00 or more . i was looking on ebay and var other places and i have scene them go for around £500 .. who would pay that for a bushcraft knife

all i want to know is are they really that good or is it just the name that people are buying more than the tool ?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Take a look about at the makers, many could knock you up a Woodlore type knife for a fraction of the price. Bernie Garland was selling one that he made a while back, I think he does blade blanks so that you can put your own scales on although I'm sure for a bit more he'd put the scales on for you if you asked. I can tell you his work is top notch.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I think that in part the name does play an important part in the desire to own an AW Woodlore knife. however as spamel said there are numerous other makers that make knives to exactly the same spec at a fraction of that price. i have a beautiful woodlore clone made by a bloke called paul harris, based in scotland and its also top notch!!

Definitely a case of shopping around mate!

Dan

I used the woodlore style for a while and found it slightly restrictive, too thick and clumsy for me, when you see what you can do with a mora or an IIsakki Puukko ( my favourite) you can see that knives are personal and there isn't one that will do everything...woodlores just aren't for me.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have used the woodlore knife several times and I'm not impressed with either the build quality or the overall design.

I own and use one of Bernie Garlands Bushcrafters; a knife of similar but for me at least, superior design and quality.

Woodlore knives are not worth any where near the money they fetch.

If your thinking of spending anything like that sort of money, talk to Bernie, Stu Mitchell or better still just do some digging around on here, to find a maker to create something really special and unique for less money.

R.B.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A colleague of mine owns one which he managed to get hold of a couple of years back off a friend of his. I have used it a couple of times and just couldn't get along with it. Don't get me wrong it is a nice knife for the right person.
As for the price well your really just paying for the name aren't you! Alan Wood has been excelled into everyones minds because of RM so he can now basically charge what he wants, because he knows - by the obvious waiting lists - that he will sell the knives at the price he sets.
I personally don't believe any knife is worth that type of money IMHO. £100 even £150 maybe because it is obviously custom made for you and no-one else but the silly money that Woodlore's are going for these days is just ridiculous and most of them probably never see a minutes work because they are in a glass collectors cabinet somewhere!

Just my pennies worth and please take it as so!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You make afair point Greg, unfortunately, the big prices are made by people selling them on eBay and Alan isn't making those big bucks. The knife sells for about 250 on Raymears.com, or so I believe, but I doubt Alan gets half of that. It is a lot of money for what it is though, as you so rightly say.

I also agree that the knife, for me, just feels to big and unwieldy. Fair play though, Ray has huge hands and the knife is based around him, and I have tiny hands so there is gonna be problems there. As it is a custom made kniofe though, surely it should take the eventual owners hand size into account? I reckon if it could be scaled down slightly to maybe an inch less or a tad more, then it would suit me fine. Saying that, I don't have that sort of money to spend on an AW knife so I suppose i will never find out for sure. The workmanship is top notch though.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
Does anybody else think that Alan Wood must be sick of the sight of the woodlore knife? He's been banging them out for years and theres still an enormous waiting list!

Dan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, it pays his bills I suppose! I would be sick of making them if I was in his shoes, anything repetetive has the possibility of becoming a chore you no longer wish to do. Maybe he breaks up the monotony with his other knives as well. I believe he is contracted to produce a certain number of Woodlores for RM each year and seem to recall somebody saying he had reduced that number. Cannot say for sure though.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
ive got four knives from john millington aka singblister on ere, they are great and he will will make you knive from your design and very nice file work i must say and wont cost you the earth, but he likes to do origial work and doesnt do woodlore clones, wich is a good thing in my opinion, we are not clones lol,
www.millington-design.co.uk or pm him on here

andy

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
just looked on his website .. the mans got talent

i myself am branching out into knife making and can only hope mine look as good as the above

cheers

oh i must admit if some1 got me a woodlore knife i wouldnt say no even if it wasnt that good it would be nice just to own the legand

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
i had one once and somone offered me more than i paid for it +another bushcraft knife so i sold it as any well made bushcraft knife is just as good as the ray one as you are really paying for the name

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I had a custom one made by a chap from the new forest with a firesteel with matching handle. Even has my initials on the blade. Cost............£85 inc P&P

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
What's a ray mears knife? And why would I want one?

Oh, wait. Never mind. I guess I don't much care about one just because his name is attached to it. It's ... just another knife.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I want to see you forge a Nessmuk shape Mike - with a nice stag roll handle...:)

Something nice and "mountain man"....

You can put your name on it if it helps :)
Red

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
i don't think it's fair to say that mr Wood is making huge amounts of money out of these bushcraft style knives, ask him for a price for a knife direct, he's very reasonable,

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I bought one of the wilkie woodlores with black scales some years ago when the price was £90 or so. I thought it was a fair bit of money then, but I've been pleased with the knife, still use it, although I subsequently started making and using my own knives more. When Wilkinsons shut and the prices went up as they became "collectable" I did think about putting it on ebay, but I like it..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE