Who has a Dremel and what do you think ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,ve been looking at these for some time ,i had the cheap version from Aldi which died on me.There are so many models though any recomendations welcome , i fancy the flexible shaft though.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I went halves on an original dremel (not the fancy Dan digital control version of today)
I had a flexi shaft or two for 'grinding' ports on two stroke race engines, it had a fair bit of use and never let me down....still got it.
I used it mostly for Cutting cast aluminium away (use the Carbide fluted cutters) as the motor is too small for much else.
I never got into polishing with it but have some mops/ jewellers rouge and am interested to see if it will polish the edge on bush knives (might try it this weekend as my bushy is in a neglected state)

I take it as you have used a dremel type tool before you are aware of the limitations of the tool regarding power output so will not go into that here….suffice to say Dremels are good tools for jobs where no other tool can get access…..other wise you’d use the other tools ;)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I have a dremel, and use the flexi shaft that came boxed with it, very useful. Planning to get the router attachment for it...

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
i know mate ive made loads .....cat can stoves.....zelph stoves and bud light (bottles are finally available in tescos) i just wondered if they would make cutting the bottle down any easier ?

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
The Thin compressed oxide cutting discs shatter like nothing else on earth...you have to teep the tool PERFECTLY in line or...Whhhhiiiiiiiiizzzzzzz.....pooof!...then another two minutes to mount ANOTHER wheel....and when you FINALLY get the hang of that you realise that the disc has worn down to the size of a paracetamol...and not a big one at that!
seriously i've had no more than a minute out of one disc beofre it was the diameter of the arbour!
the bigger fibre glass reinforded discs are better but it is reall by a small amount.....Yes they work but for ****sake wear saftey glasses!

Mojo

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My Dremel has been used for the most bizaare jobs you can think of. I don't know how I'd cope without it for modifying kit, tools and making stuff. Very versatile tool, and still going strong after nine years of massive use.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
I got a B&Q own brand one five or six years ago and it's still going strong. It gets used for all sorts including cutting old rusty bolts and screws from a land rover (as this weekend it cut all the screws off my landy floor...). The grinding wheels and other abrasive bits are ok for fine work but little else. However it does come into its own when working on small alu/steel components and hard to get to places. Think of it as a Hobbit's angle grinder or mag-drill.......
But worth looking at generic brands if you don't fancy the Dremmel price tag.

Stuart69

On a new journey
Jul 7, 2008
Glasgow
They're great wee things but do have limits. Mine get used for all sorts of things. I've got a corded one and a rechargeable battery one you can borrow any time Gill if you want to have a play. I'll even let you get your hands on my flexible shaft :D

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I use'd one pretty much every day when fixing aircraft, there great for the little trimming, fine shaping jobs when you stuck up a tail boom, we used the quick connect discs, really stong and great for cutting, the way they attatch to the spindle gives them more flex on curves.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use a Proxxon Micromot (yes, I know the name is funny).

Its like Dremel, but my tool shop reckons they are better quality as its an industrial tool.

They take all the dremel parts, has a 1m flexible shaft, a bench clamp with sucker pads, and also turns into a small lathe.

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/28500.html

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm curious... Pray tell...

Firearms design .... www.asp9mm.com
GFs nails
Bowmaking
Arrowmaking
SAK modification
Rigging a fast pully system for a long line
Shaping a meteorite
Cutting an escaped boomslang from a fireplace
Hollowing out a book
Making a marble sculpture
Ageing a norman sword
Grinding down a guinea pigs nails

I could go on....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE