Who eats Fish?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rommy

Forager
Jun 4, 2010
Hull, East Yorkshire.
Am I the only one here who likes tinned salmon?

No, not at all I love all fish and shellfish however prepared. Tinned salmon and salad is an amazing meal. I was however brought up to appreciate the efforts of those who brought and prepared what was put in front of me. I was taught about folks in regions of the world who are starving and always cleared my plate.

My best friends dad was brought up in wartime Poland. He lived for about four years on rats and rainwater and whatever. I eat and appreciate anything really. Geoff.

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
My local favourites are Salmon, Cod and Mackerel but our fishmonger has been getting in Hake, Redfish and Snapper, all delicious, big fillets, almost like cuts of meat in texture. Fantastic! I also love shellfish and Mussels and Scallops are my favourites. Crustaceans are also on my "eat list" and I find prawns are just marvellous when cooked simply with garlic and butter. Lobster is kind of "meh" I think it is over-rated and expensive for what it is.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Love fish of all kinds. The thing is I only fly fish and I catch a LOT of Rainbow Trout... gets a bit samey after a while and believe my I've done most things with it. I'm beginning to wish that you could fly fish for Cod :D

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
a local pond near me is full of signal cray fish and we (me and t old fella) have nearly a dozen licenced traps in there, i cooked some tails last week but never ate them.

i may purge them for a day or two and try again,...

Last edited:

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Fish is great and tastes far beter when you cath it yourself!!!

Top three

We used to go out in the sea lochs and catch mackerl on wee fast inflatable ribs, we would race to the shore light an instant BBQ and cook our catch, fast food if ou hav ever seen it!!!!

Artic Char, tastes great, wrapped in wet newspaper and cooked until the paper is dry is when it is perfect, when the newspaper comes of it takes the skin with it, fantastic!!!!!

Best of all, catching walleye in the canadian shield wilderness, getting a fire going, getting the two big black iron pans heat up, cooking home fries, baked beans and shore lunch walleye fillets, living the dream :-D

Tracyann

Oct 6, 2010
Scotland
PROFITS by and large, don't stay in Scotland. The vast majority of the fish farms in Scotland are foreign owned, Norwegian in the main, so the environmental damage caused benefits not the Scots, but the vikings who stole all the pretty ones and left Aberdeen the desperate place it is of a weekend night when you're out on the lash.

There are actually more scottish owned fish farms than foreign owned you only here of largest ones which are owned by companies in Norway.
The fish farm food is actually mostly anchovies. Yes there are additives in the food. Sea lice is not a problem for a couple of reasons, one the treatment they get also the use of wrasse for eating them from the salmon when at sea. the left over food feeds a variety of fish if there is any left over.
Fish health is very important, besides the fish health visitors coming around, there are vets who are here weekly constantly checking on health ensuring there well being as well as amounts for food etc. Liver tests are performed frequently on fish as well.
There are varying amounts of testing from sepa to make sure the water going through is as clean if not cleaner than when it came in if the levels are high they get shut down after 3 non conformities in a row. amongst some of the things they have to do is also look for wildlife count any other species etc to see what environmental impact they are having etc.
This is the smallest site this company has and it employes in total 8 full time. However if you think of the amount of people it also provides part of their full time job, well you have lorry drivers for transfers, divers for net checks, vaccinators, vets, health visitors, environment groups, sepa, people who work at the net stations for repairs, then you have other things such as pest control, security etc etc I don't think you realise how much is actually invovled, nor the amount of care nor the amount of people and it actually counts for a lot in small places if you think of 200 people in an area and they are employing 8 full time staff plus part time staff etc. it's not quite as bad as you seem to think.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Late to this thread but since I tend to eat to a budget fish is not that common. I do like mackeral fro its clean eating qualities and taste. Herring has a nicer tast as well as pilchards and sardines IMHO but are boey and messy fish. I have also taken to smoked, farmed vietnamese cobbler. I basically put it on a plate with a but of a raised lip with milk and bung it cvered into the microwave. Then jsut eat with a nice bread and peas. Nothing fancy just simple.

I also like to make orientl fish parcels. Basically an oily fish (I use mackeral the most), filleted and the pin bones removed. Then chopped into regular pieces. You can also use IIRC Bream or some other fish that has flavour but looks white (not up on my fish names but I have a book that has good recipes for fish). Basically you sweat off leeks garlic ginger fresh red chilli and you layer up with the fish, leeks and carrots (finely chopped into thin strips is my preference). All this in a foil parcel. You use oil on the fish and foil plus you make sure the skin side is to the outside (keeps the flavours in I think). Just layer them up with different things in between the fish pieces. Like fish, leeks with th garlic,ginger and chilli then fish then the leeks with the three flavouring elements then a fish outer. Cook in the oven for a bit then serve with say rice. The juices just soak into the rice and it is actually rather nice and easy to make.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Of course my favourite fish dish is moule mariniere. I don't do it often but IIRC it is now the season for it??? Iuse the traditional white wine approach but I have heard youcan cook mussels in a similar way with cider. Tried that once but perhaps the cider wasn't the right type it didn't taste right.

One time we had travelled down to Dover then got the ferry to Ostend and got the the YH to get settled. Then went out looking for somewhere to eat. We found a beach front place and two of us ordered Moule Mariniere. It came in a huge cylinder shaped pot it was cooked in. WE got bowls and basically tucked in. Anyway, we ate and ate and ate for probably over an hour but the pot was still only half emptied. We admitted defeat after several bowl fulls of emptied shells had been discarded. I have never seen so much food being served up to just two people before. It couldn't have been economic for them to make such big servings. I am not joking we had reeally big appetites and hadn't eaten properly all day so were ravenous. It was so well cooked to, but it would probably fill up about 5 people the pot was that full.

I only have mussels infrequently now. The trouble is I have to cook half a bag fo the supermarket one day and then finish off the rest of the mussels the next. They don't serve by weight only by a bag that is probably suitable for three people. I do love mussels though. I used to eat those mussels and cockles out of the jars in the pickle. I could eat a whole jar in a coupke of minutes straight despite trying to ration them. Once I get started on them I just get faster and faster at eating.
Mmmmm! I'm hungry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE