Whittling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I was going to go for a wander over the hills the other day to a small Yew wood in order to 'liberate' some materials, but time and events conspired against me (again), so i went a whittling, as you do.

DSCN1218grgr.jpg

From top to bottom a small poker with a chicken head on it, a whittled stick i made the other day, again with a chickens head on it, an arrow through a ring, the ring is Elm and the arrow is Hazel, but the arrow head and flights are larger than the hole the arrow sits in, a variable pitch whistle and the butter spreader i also made the other day, all the result of absolute boredom.:)

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
I love these - there are some little curls on the back of the first Chicken's head (the poker) which makes him look like he's rocking a mullet!
They're great

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
?the hole is cut in green elm such that the previously carved arrow goes through it; the elm then shrinks so that the hole is smaller and it is trapped

Is that it?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
?the hole is cut in green elm such that the previously carved arrow goes through it; the elm then shrinks so that the hole is smaller and it is trapped

Is that it?

afraid not, the elm ring was carved from seasoned wood

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
You boiled the hazel to make it flexible?

correct :)

You boil the arrow then compress the head slightly and push it through the hole in the ring, the softened fibres allow compression, when it pops through the other side the fibres expand again and lock it in place.

The other way to do it if you are making a few is to boile the arrows then hold the heads in a vice overnight so they dry in their compressed state, then put them through the ring and then put them into warm water and the fibres expand again.

Easy when you know how :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE