Whittling/carving wood and where can i buy it ? Please Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

true_scotsman

Jul 20, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to wood whittling/carving but i do have a background in stone and clay sculpture. Im looking at buying some wood to hand carve but im finding it difficult to locate an easy to hand carve wood anywhere that would sell it to me in blocks. I'm looking at basswood and butternut but obviously their both rare to find, does anyone have any other ideas on types of wood and also where it can be bought, like a art and craft shops as well as timber yards.

Andy

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It sounds like you have been reading up on carving on US sites, basswood is what they call lime and butternut is I believe one their many trees related to horse chestnut (though not so sure about that one)

Lime is great if you can get it but in Scotland you may be best looking for willow, alder or birch. Try to get a largish tree and split it down to quarters then you can carve green wood and it won't split.

Talk to your local tree surgeons/parks management teams/foresters.

edit butternut is apparently a relative of walnut http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juglans_cinerea

Last edited:

senex

Apr 6, 2011
Fife
I buy my limewood from a local sawmill. That maybe the best bet, its certainly the cheapest. The stuff I buy is green a square meter delivered in 2" slabs, £75.

TREETOP

Forager
Mar 29, 2010
Here wishing i was out there
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and to wood whittling/carving but i do have a background in stone and clay sculpture. Im looking at buying some wood to hand carve but im finding it difficult to locate an easy to hand carve wood anywhere that would sell it to me in blocks. I'm looking at basswood and butternut but obviously their both rare to find, does anyone have any other ideas on types of wood and also where it can be bought, like a art and craft shops as well as timber yards.

Andy

I've used these in the past and been very happy with their service loads of different woods and tools to chose from
http://www.ockenden-timber.co.uk/
Hope this helps

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi andy :)

be usefull to know what size piece of wood you are looking for, whats your project?. yes lime is lovely to carve but almost any wood will do if your just starting out, and its all around us! try approaching a local farmer too, theyre often felling, pruning or tidying their land. recent windfall of live wood is a good source too, put a laplander or whatever in your pack next time you go for a walk :)

steve

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Try here not to far from you

Gilmour & Aitken Ltd
Milton Sawmill,Auchincarroch Rd,Jamestown,Alexandria,Dunbartonshire,G83 9EY

Address: Milton Sawmill,Auchincarroch Rd,Jamestown,Alexandria,Dunbartonshire,G83 9EY
Telephone: 01389 752333
Web Site:
Email:

Classification

Timber Importers & Agents

Jason

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I'd recomend the tree surgeon route. They very often have more stuff than they can deal with, a lot ends up chippered. Last week I got an entire Willow tree (about 3 tons total) for next to nothing, crosscut and delivered to my yard. The good thing with having a large stock to hand is that you dont get under pressure and precious about ruining a "good" (and expensive) piece of material. Lime is very nice to work, as is alder and sycamore. Large hazel is nice too. Many hazel coppices are now neglected and are massive and over grown. I saw a hazel stool last year with poles that were easily a foot diameter. Any way, whatever you decide to do, good luck with your projects.

Halfdevil333

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2006
On the Banks of Loch Lomond
Try here not to far from you

Gilmour & Aitken Ltd
Milton Sawmill,Auchincarroch Rd,Jamestown,Alexandria,Dunbartonshire,G83 9EY

Address: Milton Sawmill,Auchincarroch Rd,Jamestown,Alexandria,Dunbartonshire,G83 9EY
Telephone: 01389 752333
Web Site:
Email:

Classification

Timber Importers & Agents

Jason

I live next to this sawmill and i have never even thought about going in to see what they have.....Will do now

Cordhound

Jul 16, 2014
Mere, Wiltshire
Sydenham's do hard woods if you want things like Sepia or Oak, they can also source many other woods. Alternatively there is loads of Ash all over, that I'm sure land owners won't mind you asking for?
I too like a bit of a whittle, good luck..

Cordhound

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE