White Umbellifers

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Anyone recommend a good place to learn to differentiate between the blighters. There are loads out at the mo but they all stink to high heaven, My guide states that hemlock does not flower until June:confused:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I remember going to pick up two YTS chaps that I'd warned to wear all their protective gear whilst strimming an area with HOGWEED on a hot summers day... came back to pick them up to find a couple of "blistered" chappies in a very sorry state as they'd stripped down to shorts to clearing saw the area... not a good day...
Goatboy.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Anyone recommend a good place to learn to differentiate between the blighters. There are loads out at the mo but they all stink to high heaven, My guide states that hemlock does not flower until June:confused:

Why do you need hemlock ID before June? Is 'she 'giving you grief?:lmao:

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire

I've not seen hemlock out yet. The light green feathery foliage and smooth stems with purple blotches are quite characteristic.

Jim

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I remember going to pick up two YTS chaps that I'd warned to wear all their protective gear whilst strimming an area with HOGWEED on a hot summers day... came back to pick them up to find a couple of "blistered" chappies in a very sorry state as they'd stripped down to shorts to clearing saw the area... not a good day...
Goatboy.

Aye,for them,

I'd be :lmao:

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Why do you need hemlock ID before June? Is 'she 'giving you grief?:lmao:

Only when I get back in. I take the dogs for a walk and turn up two or three hours later.:D

I had the plant down as Greater burnet-saxifrage due to the hollow furrowed stems with a slight covering of short hair some plants have purple stems some have green with a purple tinge at stem junctions. They don't flower until June either.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Crushed hemlock leaves smell awfull - some say like mouse pee; you'll know it if you smell it.

Obviously, any advice given on here about identifying hemlock is entirely at your own risk and presumed to prevent accidental poisening :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE