White Spirit and Methylated Spirit...difference?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey guys

I was just looking in a hardware shop the other day for some spirits for a coke can alcohol burner I made. White spirits are about half the price of Methylated spirits and obviously are still extremely flammable....is there a difference in the way they burn or something?

Thanks

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'White spirit' ingredients vary from brand to brand so for one thing your never that sure what you have. Some are near pure paraffin so just won't work in a meths stove and if they do will burn filthy messing up your pots and stinking the place out, smells linger for ages from a spill and some of them have stuff like naptha in which can cause a nasty flare up.

Stick to meths, methanol or ethanol.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
5 litre bottles of methylated spirit will set you back about £15 anywhere in the UK. If you buy in the DIY sheds the price will at least double. I believe Methanol can be cheaper than Methylated spirit but I have yet to use it.

Both the above burn clean, white spirit does not and it stinks too.

Steve.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
All of the above.

Apparently filtering meths with a loaf of bread will get rid of the blue dye, which stops your mouth going blue when you drink it.

And white spirit just kills you when you drink it.

Neither to be recommended.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE