White mushroom with pink gills - Confirm ID please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hello,

I found this fella today on the allotment and as far as I can tell it looks to be a common Field Mushroom Agaricus campestris. I am in the process of taking a spore print so I'll post details on that later.

MLNA0111.jpg

MLNA0110.jpg

MLNA0112.jpg

MLNA0114.jpg

Thanks.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Cheers Dave,

It did indeed smell nice and mushroomy. I ID'd it using Mushrooms and Other Fungi of Great Britain and Europe by Roger Phillips.

Forgot to check the spore print so I'll do that tonight.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I always carry at least 2 books, to be on the safe side. If there is a mushroom I'm identifying for the first time it is always a help to cross-reference, as sometimes the pictures and description can vary.

I tend to find a lot of these field mushroom's (only little ones, 1-2 " across) on pathway's in the new forest.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I always carry at least 2 books, to be on the safe side. If there is a mushroom I'm identifying for the first time it is always a help to cross-reference, as sometimes the pictures and description can vary.

I tend to find a lot of these field mushroom's (only little ones, 1-2 " across) on pathway's in the new forest.

Indeed, I am expecting delivery of HFW mushroom book any day now (postal strikes and backlog allowing) to accompany my huge Roger Phillips 'field' guide :D

xylaria

Argaricus bitorquis I'd say only because the ring looks a bit doubled up and the bruising colour. It looks a little young to get a spore print out of, but I agree with you that it looks like it is agaricius spp. You saw the colour the yellow stainers go as long as you avoid those you will be fine.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks Dunc & Fi.

Are there any other common fungi that look like this but should be avoided for the pot? Obviously apart from the yellow stainer :)

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I belive anything with white flesh and white gills is a no-no. Older field mushroom's can change from pink-gilled to a sort of brown, much like the ones you get in the supermarket.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Are there any other common fungi that look like this but should be avoided for the pot?

Yes - anything that you don't know for certain is safe. Always err on the side of caution.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Yes - anything that you don't know for certain is safe. Always err on the side of caution.

I know, that's very true Dunc :D Please don't have visions of me running with gay abandon through the countryside with a 'WORLDS BEST MYCOLOGIST' T-shirt on snaffling any white 'shroom in my path :D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
S.orry, should've thrown a could of smileys in there...

Like Dave says, white flesh and gills is often a bad sign - especially when combined with a ring and a bulbous, sack-like volva. These are diagnostic of the amanita family, which contains all the really nasty ones you're likely to find in Britain. I'd also stay away from Little Brown Mushrooms (LBMs) as a point of principle - they're just not worth messing with.

Personally, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to 'shrooms. I'll take field mushrooms, parasols, boletes, chanterelles, and a couple of brackets - oysters or beefstakes. Jew's ear at a push (they just never look appetizing to me), shaggy ink caps if they're just right. I'd take morels if I could find any. Anything else I'm suspicious of. I know there are some good russulas, but there are too many different ones for me to be confident about them.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
S.orry, should've thrown a could of smileys in there...

LOL no worries Dunc, I took it with the intended humour.

Like Dave says, white flesh and gills is often a bad sign - especially when combined with a ring and a bulbous, sack-like volva. These are diagnostic of the amanita family, which contains all the really nasty ones you're likely to find in Britain. I'd also stay away from Little Brown Mushrooms (LBMs) as a point of principle - they're just not worth messing with.

That was basically what I learned from Xylaria's walk at the summer Moot (that plus leave the yellow stainers but the wee purple Amethyst Deceivers are good).

Personally, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to 'shrooms. I'll take field mushrooms, parasols, boletes, chanterelles, and a couple of brackets - oysters or beefstakes. Jew's ear at a push (they just never look appetizing to me), shaggy ink caps if they're just right. I'd take morels if I could find any. Anything else I'm suspicious of. I know there are some good russulas, but there are too many different ones for me to be confident about them.

I think I'll be following in your footsteps here but I clearly have some catching up to do :D

xylaria

Matt you have seen a death cap, the white mushroom with with white flesh that is to be avoided you have held one of them in your hands. Amantia virosa is very simmerlar. What makes a amanita an amanita is the bag at the base, in the toxic species the bag is quite obvious. There are pink gilled fungi Pluteus, entoloma, nolanea. Some entolomas are toxic, but none of them have a ring and they tend to be tall in habit.

The picture shows no sign what so ever of a volva, and has a very clear ring. Don't eat anything you are not sure of. I tend to pick a fungi, learn to ID it, and then harvest for the pot next time I see it.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt you have seen a death cap, the white mushroom with with white flesh that is to be avoided you have held one of them in your hands. Amantia virosa is very simmerlar. What makes a amanita an amanita is the bag at the base, in the toxic species the bag is quite obvious. There are pink gilled fungi Pluteus, entoloma, nolanea. Some entolomas are toxic, but none of them have a ring and they tend to be tall in habit.

The picture shows no sign what so ever of a volva, and has a very clear ring. Don't eat anything you are not sure of. I tend to pick a fungi, learn to ID it, and then harvest for the pot next time I see it.

Aiye, the deathcaps were up the banking at the back south end of the site weren't they? I know that many of the white gilled amanitas are bad news.

I am now confident with the field mushroom at the age it was when I found it so hope I'll find more and let them grow to maturity so I can ID them at all stages.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I found exactly the same mushroom on sunday. It was situated on its own in woodland, which made me think it was not a field mushroom, despite looking exactly like it. Decided not to fry it up, as per the saying "if in doubt leave gilled funghi out". But will know to eat it next time, cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE