whistling arrow heads!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Somewhat fiddly, but it can be done,
A copy of the two part whistling tips sold in archery supplies can be made on basic home/garage tools. They are basically a chamber at the front of the arrow with two angled holes to produce the scream. The trick is to build it robust enough to withstand the shock of release and impact without destrying itself or moving on the shaft and altering the volume of the chamber, and of course filling with mud/foam/straw etc.
There is an alternative that uses something like a ping-pong ball with triangular cuts but I've not seen any up close so can't offer any advice on how to construct them.
I might be able to post some close-up photos of mine tomorrow if they are wanted as a guide for someone to copy.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Somewhat fiddly, but it can be done,
A copy of the two part whistling tips sold in archery supplies can be made on basic home/garage tools. They are basically a chamber at the front of the arrow with two angled holes to produce the scream. The trick is to build it robust enough to withstand the shock of release and impact without destrying itself or moving on the shaft and altering the volume of the chamber, and of course filling with mud/foam/straw etc.
There is an alternative that uses something like a ping-pong ball with triangular cuts but I've not seen any up close so can't offer any advice on how to construct them.
I might be able to post some close-up photos of mine tomorrow if they are wanted as a guide for someone to copy.

ATB

Ogri the trog

That would be great!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
OK, here we go,
Two shots to show the general layout and approximate dimensions and an arty "Down the hole" shot to give you an idea of the size of the chamber.
IMG_2345.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

IMG_2347.jpg

Hope this helps.

Ogri the trog

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Is that where you roll the Plastique and shove it down the end prior to fitting the explosive tip, putting your school tie around your head and go on the rampage a la Rambo, and take out a cunningly disguised Super Puma masquerading as a Russian Hind gunship?

:D

ukarcher

Jul 9, 2006
England
I don't have any photos at the moment, but the ping pong ball method works really well. I did a modification to some of mine a year or two back. Instead of using a ping pong ball I used the ball out of a roll on deodorant stick (I used to work at a factory that made the sticks). You just drill a hole through the ball to accept the shaft, then another hole through the ball at ninety degrees to the shaft but very slightly to the back of the ball. Use epoxy to fix it to the shaft.
What makes a great noise is a couple of the ping pong ball arrows being shot at the same time as the deodorant ball arrows.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE