Whistle making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

Wander

How do I make a whistle out of wood? Can somebody post a link or video.

Thanks!!!:You_Rock_

W

Wander

I have been out this afternoon (before the football) and I have found some elder so I will try and have a go. Does anyone have any tips?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Loads of variables on this that could go wrong :yikes:.
I made two in the wood yesterday. 1st needed "playing" with, 2nd worked first time :rolleyes:.
Don't make the slot to deep. It only just needs to enter the drilled out chamber.
Make sure the "flipple" (if thats the right word), has a large enough flattened side.
Leave the flipple a little long so that you can adjust it. When its in the right place (lined up with the very start of the slot) you can trim the end off.:35:
Make sure there are no cracks anywhere in the whistle :nono: and everything fits tight.
The deeper the drilled whole (don't drill right through), the lower the sound.
When you get the hang of it, you'll just pick up any bit of straight wood, bore it, slit it and blow it, all with in minutes (while waiting for the kettle to boil etc)
Robin in this video, reckons to make 8 out of 10 successfully with no problems and he makes them for a living (among lots of other things) , so if it doesn't work first time, adjust, play, or have another go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-rJ_J7VohY :)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Interesting kev.
I tried one a while back which worked fine then have had mixed success, one thing i have never been quite sure on is how far the dowel (with a flattened side) should go into the whistle, or how much to take off for the flat site.
I see from this that the dowel goes level with the vertcal - sounds a good tip.
Any ideas on the amount to remove from the flattened dowel.
This sounds like its one of those 'just have a go' questions that should be able to be worked out mathamatically and come up with a furmula.
Not me of course but .. someone....?

hehe

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
All my kids have mae whistles with only a little help. Our first go we used two scrap bits of dowel. Drilled the larger one to accept the smaller one and creat a chamber. Cut the slit and away you go.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Interesting kev.
I tried one a while back which worked fine then have had mixed success, one thing i have never been quite sure on is how far the dowel (with a flattened side) should go into the whistle, or how much to take off for the flat site.
I see from this that the dowel goes level with the vertcal - sounds a good tip.
Any ideas on the amount to remove from the flattened dowel.
This sounds like its one of those 'just have a go' questions that should be able to be worked out mathamatically and come up with a furmula.
Not me of course but .. someone....?

hehe

Easy when you're showed how isn't it. Good old Youtube. I always take too little off and have to increase the "flat"
As to the mathematical bit, I may teach maths but I still like the "suck it and see" approach to it

This is my "tutorial " for a willow whistle. It could of course be made of Rowan as well. Any tree which you could twist the bark of really.
This is just a wistle with only one tone, not a flute.
I made several of them to some children in a kindergarden last week.

Tutorial should be about mid page:

http://torbygjordet.com/use_small_kife.html

Tor

you can use that method to make a slide whistle just take the hollow bark tube of longer and use the bit that goes back in full length you adjust the note by sliding the bottom bit in and out to make the chamber change size

ATB

Duncan

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
you can use that method to make a slide whistle just take the hollow bark tube of longer and use the bit that goes back in full length you adjust the note by sliding the bottom bit in and out to make the chamber change size

ATB

Duncan

Yes, one could. But the bark rips easily. If you are looking for a flute to play several tones on you could make a willow flute. It was a common folk instrument earlier.
A long piece of bark is slid of the stick (50-80 cm).
A mouthpiece is made to fit the bark tube. The flute is held "horizontal".
The tones are made by adjusting the air outlet with your finger (no fingerholes).

Seljefl_yter.jpg

If you wonder what it sounds like you could hear it on this page.
http://www.naturinstrumenter.no/Instrumenter/Seljefloyte/Seljefloyte.htm

Tor

W

Wander

I was following the tutorial from Jon's website and I can't find a piece to fit in the end as a mouth piece. Any ideas to a easy answer?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE