Whisky and water purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
gregorach said:
Well, I wouldn't advise getting totally wellied, but a couple of drams of an evening by the fire is just the thing. :)

I used to be very much of the "no adulterating whisky, ever" school, but I have come around in the last few years. Now I really do believe you need a little water to open the flavour out properly - this is especially noticeable with cask strength whiskies. The amount varies according to the whisky and the mood.

As for diluting it before you go - that's a no-no. It would mean that you can't share it with someone who takes it either unwatered or with less water. Plus it's adding yet more weight to your pack, and there's really nothing like soft highland water in your whisky anyway - much better flavour than the chlorinated town stuff IMHO.

I'm pretty sure that ethanol will kill off most of the beasties even at fairly low concentrations, but I don't know about the hard ones like cryptosporidium (sp?). Obviously it won't do anything for chemical contaminants.

Water in whisky :rolleyes:
Since you can't use tablets (taste), you need to boil it to get rid of nasties. Then stand it in a billy in the loch to cool it down - even better if you keep a little bit overnight in the snow so it freezes into a homemade bit of pure ice... this helps cool the water as well (I can't imagine whisky tea and I don't want to :eek: ), and it looks good too :cool: To get around the flat water, blow through it with a straw- this takes a while but works.
This would take a good few hours to do properly, and an overnight for the ice but I don't see any other way :dunno:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Aha! Great link Toddy! :) So 2% alcohol is enough to deal with bacteria - splendid. That's low enough that you could actually avoid dehydration using it as an emergency water treatment.

Wouldn't have much flavour at that level though! ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
gregorach said:
Aha! Great link Toddy! :) So 2% alcohol is enough to deal with bacteria - splendid. That's low enough that you could actually avoid dehydration using it as an emergency water treatment.

Wouldn't have much flavour at that level though! ;)

Neat way to sterilise water though and a damn site less harmfull if you have a spill than the toxic pink permanganate :D
Means that all those bottles of sloe gin, noyeaux and good malt that come along to meets are a bushcrafting necessity ;) :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
gregorach said:

I'm not sure how accurate the information on that Website is. I'm not saying it's wrong but I'd like to get more scientific information before I risked drinking water that could be contaminated.

I know that in ancient times weak alcoholic drinks were drunk instead of water.

I found this article that somewhat confirms the use of alcohol
http://millennium-ark.net/News_Files/Water/Water_Wine.html

But how long should the water and alcohol mix be left before consumption and will it kill Giardia and Cryptosporidia?

G

Gorge

arctic hobo said:
can't imagine whisky tea and I don't want to :eek: QUOTE]

Have you never heard of hot toddys?

to some whiskey, add some hot water (boiling water will evaporate the alcohol off) freshly squeezed lemon juice with a slice of lemon, a spoonful of honey and a clove.

perfect drink for sitting by a campfire, especially in colder weather

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Gorge said:
arctic hobo said:
can't imagine whisky tea and I don't want to :eek: QUOTE]

Have you never heard of hot toddys?

to some whiskey, add some hot water (boiling water will evaporate the alcohol off) freshly squeezed lemon juice with a slice of lemon, a spoonful of honey and a clove.

perfect drink for sitting by a campfire, especially in colder weather
I was thinking more lukewarm :eek: but yes, come to think of it... *duh* good point sir ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE