Whisky and water purification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The mention of cheap whisk(e)y as a worming treatment in another thread just reminided me of something I've been meaning to ask...

I generally regard a bottle of good single malt whisky as an essential item of kit for a really enjoyable camping trip. In the past, I've always drunk untreated water (without ill effect so far) but recently I've gotten a bit more cautious and purchased a Pre-Mac water purifier. I can live with the iodine flavour in water and tea, but it seems a real shame to pollute a fine whisky with it.

So, my question is: is whisky itself an adequate water treatment, and if so, what dwell time would be needed for safety? I usually drink it 50/50.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
aaah....but aficionado's tell me that adding water to Whisky brings the full flavour out.....

Being the pleb I am, I still don't!!

Phil

PS Smile....it makes people wonder what you've been up to!

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Of course you need water in your whisky/whiskey. It opens up the flavours. Try Talisker without a few drops of water - eek!

(I'd have thought 50/50 is probably a bit much, though!)

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Just try a cask strength Laphroig without water and you'll never wonder about whether to put water in it again.
All the off the shelf whiskys have water added to bring them to 40o. When they come out the cask they are 50-68o, then they are diluted to provide a consistant product.

try http://www.wmcadenhead.com/
for unfiltered cask whisky

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I might be wrong but I seem to remember that whiskey or any other distilled drink does not purify your water at all.

Distilled drinks are also already diluted with water to bring them to the correct alcohol volume (whether for legal, duty or taste reasons).

I always drink my whiskey straight. This idea of mixing it with water to bring out the flavour is a new one on me, sounds like sacrilege, but maybe I should try it anyway. How much water does one put in?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
There is ome old regliment fro mthe swedish army from when swedish soldiers were on UN mission. There is a lot if info and expereinces in purifying water but in the last sentance it says "Just to be sure we drink a lot of beer".

Drinking Whiskey as all about personal taste. If you want to put Coke or lemonade or even mango and passion fruit into it, then thats up to you. Take it whatever way YOU like it. You are not drinking it to please anyone else, just yourself. Personally, I like it with a little water and some Ice, or, add a dram to some Baileys for an extra kick. as I understand it, Adding Whisk(e)y to untreated water will not purify it. Another question though, is Should we be drinking a lot while out in the woods, with knives, axes and perhaps an open fire?

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, I wouldn't advise getting totally wellied, but a couple of drams of an evening by the fire is just the thing. :)

I used to be very much of the "no adulterating whisky, ever" school, but I have come around in the last few years. Now I really do believe you need a little water to open the flavour out properly - this is especially noticeable with cask strength whiskies. The amount varies according to the whisky and the mood.

As for diluting it before you go - that's a no-no. It would mean that you can't share it with someone who takes it either unwatered or with less water. Plus it's adding yet more weight to your pack, and there's really nothing like soft highland water in your whisky anyway - much better flavour than the chlorinated town stuff IMHO.

I'm pretty sure that ethanol will kill off most of the beasties even at fairly low concentrations, but I don't know about the hard ones like cryptosporidium (sp?). Obviously it won't do anything for chemical contaminants.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Rather than using the Pre-Mac, could you just boil up some water instead? Obviously let it cool down before adding to the whiskey.

Rebel, the amount of water is dependent on personal taste and on the whiskey. For a new whiskey, just put in a drop at a time, tasting as you go - not only will this help you figure out the right amount of water, but also really shows what a difference it makes. For Talisker I tend to put in a fair few drops, but Oban doesn't really benefit at all, so straight works for me.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, but it takes ages to cool and you end up boiling out a lot of the oxygen, which can make it taste "flat".

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Why not try rainwater, or dew*? They're pure enough and you only need a few drops in a whisky to set it off.

* Use fresh morning dew in whisky at your peril. You still have most of the day to deal with...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just bear in mind that whatever you collect your pure rain water or dew in or off needs to be pure too. Mopping dew off the grass in a pasture does not really count :rolleyes:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
I have a book somewhere that i "forgot" to take back to the school library, many moons ago, about the ridgeway.
The author swore by adding just enough whiskey to your water supply to make it a pale straw colour. Apparenty it is revitalise the fibres, or something. I think not...

Anyway i prefer Jamesons....

runs off and hides :tapedshut ;)

Lost in civilisation

Feb 19, 2005
england
I have heard it said that after boiling water to purify it, it becomes `flat ` as all the oxygen dissolved in the water is boiled out.

Apparently pouring it back and forth between two containers helps to dissolve some air in to the water improving the taste. Probably best done by vigorous shaking in a half full water bottle.

Can anyone confirm this :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE